S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

NEW HERE CAN I GET A BREAK DOWN OF ALL THIS?

Old 11-18-2006, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW HERE CAN I GET A BREAK DOWN OF ALL THIS?

Ok so I am a finish freak just like the rest of you. Currently I am using these steps with these products.

1. wash
2. mothers clay bar, mothers cleaner wax, mothers polish, mothers 6 carnuba wax. Microfiber towels to remove the wax.

Now I have been doing alot of reading here, and seems like the "waxing rabbit hole goes very deep"

Can you shedd some light on it, like... what aggressivness polish should I use to remove minor swirl marks on a Berlina black, is the mothers stuff good? or should I invest in Zanio, Zymol, or other of the widely talked about products? if so which are the top 3 products.

I guess you could still call me a newbie because I am unfamiliar with all the products you guys talk about here, and what level of abrasivness and types of wax I should go with.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mikescwS2k -

first off, some basics:
polish is used to remove a micro layer of your clearcoat, cause its assumed that this is where swirls and other blemishes live.
polishes come in 3 basic aggressivenesses- the lightest = swirl removers or paint cleaners, or whatever name the polish co wants to use; then medium level, or fine cut compounds; and finally rubbing compounds, or whatever they want to call them.
you want to use the least aggressive polish that gets the job done. if you have to go more aggressive than the lowest level, you want to "step down" (go back to a less aggressive polish) after you do the higher level. the lower level will restore the brilliance to your shine.
after polishing, you need to protect the paint with a wax (which is made from carnuba) or a synthetic (which is a polymer). synthetics usually last longer than carnubas. all products have their own characteristics as to the shine.
so, if you have swirls, you want to do a swirl removal (maybe clay first), and then put some protection on.
the very first step is where you are- reading and asking questions...
then you make some decisions and try them out.
if you like the products you are using, stick with them- i have never found one company that makes every product that i like. the closest is probably p21s, but they dont make a polish that i love-
to complicate polishes, some have fillers and some dont- a good polish will just take off the edges of the swirl so it doesnt reflect light (and that way you dont see it)- some do that and fill in the swirl too. fillers eventually unfill. glazes are a type of filler (one that i like).
so a "purest" might prefer to totally remove the swirls rather than fill them at all. complete removers will remove more clear coat than a glaze does.
let me find you some bedtime reading and i will post it back here...

----------
here you go- basics on swirl removal:

http://properautocare.com/usporcabpol.html
Old 11-18-2006, 06:37 PM

Yep, the "Rabbit Hole" is deep indeed!

Generally speaking, when it comes to polshing you want to start with the least aggressive polish and using a test panel work your way up until you get to where you can remove the imperfections while removing the least amount of clearcoat, and inducing as little micro-marring (caused by the larger abrasive particles in the more aggressive polishes) as possible.

I'd start up at the top of this forum, there's a TON of great information including a link to MikeyC's detailing guide. Which would be the perfect read to start off with.

Just about all of the products mentioned here are good, it's just a matter of personal preference. And just about all of the really good ones, have to be ordered online. Most of the over the counter products can't compete.

If you're just looking for the top three polishes...I'd say (and this is just my personal opinion) :

1. Optimum
2. Poorboys
3. Menzerna

I've also seen people get excellent results removing light swirls with Zaino's ZPC, which would be the obvious choice if you decide to use Zaino for your LSP.

Just keep reading...another good resource is over at Autopia.org, if you go to the click & brag forum you can see pictures of cars that have been detailed and most people also post the process and products used to get the results.

Good Luck!

Oh...one other quick note! One of the reasons Optimum and Poorboys are particularly good for us weekend warrior types, is that most of us are working in our driveways. Those two, can be used in direct sunlight whereas the Menzerna and many of the others dry out too quickly due to the lack of oils in them, and should only be used either inside or in the shade.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:50 PM

wow thanks guys big help so far...

what about the pads used to apply.... I just use the softest ones I can find to the touch... is there a method on selecting a application pad.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MikescwS2k,Nov 18 2006, 07:50 PM
wow thanks guys big help so far...

what about the pads used to apply.... I just use the softest ones I can find to the touch... is there a method on selecting a application pad.
i like lake country:
http://properautocare.com/mafopaloatla.html

edge pads are popular too (mikeyc likes them as you might note in his guide):
http://www.autogeek.net/edge20006.html
Old 11-18-2006, 08:04 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I notice you skip the second wash....

You should wash the car after you clay one more time.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:37 AM

wanabe, is it ok to use the backing plate that came with my porter cable 7336SP? or will I have to use another backing plate from Lake County if I choose to go with their pads?
Old 11-19-2006, 03:36 PM

I use Optimum for the most part myself. I love the stuff.

I did this with Optimum:

Before anything:

The final look:

This is a Lexus I did:
Before:

After:
Old 11-19-2006, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by MikescwS2k,Nov 18 2006, 09:23 PM
Now I have been doing alot of reading here, and seems like the "waxing rabbit hole goes very deep"
You have NO idea.

John, Optimum is on sale at Autogeek right now. I'm not sure how long the sale will be going on though.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:23 PM

Thanks Mikey!