S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

New to detailing properly - help

Old 11-19-2008, 01:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New to detailing properly - help

As soon as winter is over, I plan to detail the S for a nice spring coming out of hibernation event.

I have never used a power tool for polishing such as the makita or Porter Cable.

For a newbie at this what are the precautions one should take when using a Porter Cable or such?

My paint isnt all that bad, just some swirls that you can notice in the reflection when the sun is shining on it. (Sebring Silver)

Any recommendations on what to use or do with it?

Im from Canada so I am a little limited to what I can get for products.

I was considering getting Pinnacle or Wolfgang products:

After a wash and dry starting with:

1: Pinnalce Ultra Poly Clay Bar w/ Pinnacle Clay Lubricant
2: P21S Paintwork Cleansing Lotion (Is this needed?)
3: Pinnacle Signature Series II Carnauba Paste Wax

I would like to finish off with something else such as the Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish, but this will require a power polisher, or could I do this by hand?

Instead of the finishing polish, would it just be better to do another coat of the Carnauba by hand?

Sorry if this is a newbi question or if it upsets anyone for not searching, but im at work and it has taken me over an hour to finish this message. Im a busy guy =)

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i consider myself a detailing newbiw and find that the porter cable is perfect for a newbie. i started using meguiars 83 and 80 when i first got my pc and recently switched to menz products. a pc and an orange pad and a good polish will help you take care of the swirls. i would recommend using the finishing polish on a white or blue pad to get the most shine of it. plus the finishing polish can fix any marring done by the pc and the orange pad. then apply an lsp and/or wax by hand. typically i use the following process.

wash
clay
wash again if you took out a lot of contaminants with your clay, usually i go straight to clay
polish - this includes using a compound, polish, and finishing polish
wash to remove polishing dust
alcohol/water wipedown if your polish contained lots of oils or fillers
sealant
wax

Old 11-19-2008, 08:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lotsa questions, so i might miss some, but here goes:

polish is best by machine- for a newbe the porter cable is one of the best choices

polish goes before your wax

best news is that you dont have to buy a machine... all you gotta do is post up in your local forum to see if a member will help you out. offer to supply refreshments and products if a member will supply the machine and teach you how to use it. not only will you get a detailed car, but you will make a new friend.

and lotsa good tips in our how tos at the top of our board... be sure to watch some of the videos and read some of the polishing threads.

post back any questions that i missed !

i am looking forward to seeing pics of your freshly polished car- and hey, if you post em up be sure to pm the link to me along with a request and i will badge you as one of us (the most famous wacko badge)
Old 11-19-2008, 10:46 PM

I honestly wouldnt use a buffer on your car if its your first time. Although the porter cable is really user friendly and easy to use. If you have the money I recommend this kit from our sponsor. http://www.detailersdomain.com/index.asp?P...PROD&ProdID=359 Includes the porter cable, pads, and all of the best polishes. Also includes wax. All you would need is some quick detail and a clay bar.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:37 AM

Hmmm.....the thought of using the PC and not knowing what im doing scares me a little.

Would I be able to get rid of some of the swirls with just clay and a good couple of coats of wax?
Old 11-20-2008, 08:02 AM

Unfortunately you won't. A porter cable really doesn't spin fast enough to burn the paint. Although its a good idea to pick up a few panels at a junkyard to practice on. Pick up black hoods/doors etc since they show the swirls the most. If you can correct black paint then you'll be good on yours. Check out youtube for porter cable how tos. They're some pretty good instructional videos on there.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:45 AM

I bought a porter cable and some Menzerna polishes without ever using one first, they are orbitals and pretty much idiot proof I think. I had good results my first time, I also use Wolfgang and Pinnacle products. I use Wolfgang sealant and top with Pinnacle series II or Souvern.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:53 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. After watching the video and taking your help into consideration, I have concluded with the following:

1 - Wash and Dry
2 - Pinnacle Clay Bar w/ lubricant spray
3 - Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover ( Using PC and Orange LCP)
4 - Pinnacle Advanced finishing polish ( Using PC and White polishing pad)
5 - Pinnacle Signature Series II paste wax - by hand

Any comments or advice? Should i wash the car inbetween polishes or in between polish and wax?

Also, what is a good product to make my fender wells shiny black again?

Thanks again
Old 11-20-2008, 01:56 PM

i would probably wash the car after the last polishing stage to wash off any dust. depending on where you live and what type of protection your car will need, you should think about adding a dedicated sealant to your process as well.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You don't have to wash the car after polishing. Go to Wal_mart any look for Prep-All. It's a final wipedown product used before applying wax. Will clean grease and oils left from polishing off the paint, prepping it for wax!!

For sealant, get Werkstat Acrylic Jett Trigger. Easy on, easy off. Only have to wait 30 minutes between coats. Use 2 coats of that, and your golden. Adding a nice carnuaba on top, like wet obsession, is icing on the cake.

link to wet obsession:
http://www.obsessivedetail.com/wetobsession.html

link to werksat ajt:
http://www.werkstat.com/acrylic-jett-trigger.php

Thes two combined, will give you sharp reflections, and a nice wet look

Quick Reply: New to detailing properly - help