S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

New car

Old 09-18-2007, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New car

Hi,

Brother just picked up a white S2k. Dealership told him not to was for 3 months. Only problem is by then it'll be too cold/snowing.
Can it be waxed? What about polished?
What's a good wax you recommend to really protect it?

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:41 AM

Thats odd. Was it repainted for some reason?
Old 09-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Former Moderator

Unless the dealership had it repainted you can wash, polish and wax it now. These cars come from japan and were painted more than a month ago and baked.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dealer is full of it...

absolutely should protect the paint on a new car-

would make me wonder whether it has had some new paint on it. new paint (non factory) does have to gas-out before waxing...
i think he should ask the dealer why they said not to wax it and should also ask if it had been repaired or repainted

even if it has been repainted, there are some paint safe glazes out there - but if its a normal new car with factory paint it absolutely should be waxed (or a good synthetic with a wax over)
Old 09-18-2007, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by wanabe,Sep 18 2007, 02:58 PM
dealer is full of it...

absolutely should protect the paint on a new car-

would make me wonder whether it has had some new paint on it. new paint (non factory) does have to gas-out before waxing...
i think he should ask the dealer why they said not to wax it and should also ask if it had been repaired or repainted

even if it has been repainted, there are some paint safe glazes out there - but if its a normal new car with factory paint it absolutely should be waxed (or a good synthetic with a wax over)

I would also add that if this is a brand new car and it has been re-painted by the dealer without disclosing that fact to you I would be PISSED.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:17 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by MikeyC,Sep 18 2007, 04:16 PM
I would also add that if this is a brand new car and it has been re-painted by the dealer without disclosing that fact to you I would be PISSED.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:33 PM

No accidents. That's the first thing he asked. He even took it to another body shop to make sure.

The salesman said something about new paint from the factory needs to "cure" since they just took it off the truck the day before he picked it up??? Guess that's more salesman knowledge...

What kind of polish and wax do you guys recommend? His first car, so he's paranoid. I told him mothers/meguier's should be good??? One of his experienced "detail" buddies told him to polish and wax immediately with 3M.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IRS2K,Sep 18 2007, 12:33 PM
No accidents. That's the first thing he asked. He even took it to another body shop to make sure.

The salesman said something about new paint from the factory needs to "cure" since they just took it off the truck the day before he picked it up??? Guess that's more salesman knowledge...

What kind of polish and wax do you guys recommend? His first car, so he's paranoid. I told him mothers/meguier's should be good??? One of his experienced "detail" buddies told him to polish and wax immediately with 3M.
first, its o.k. for your brother to jump in at any time!!

second, salesman is full of it- as above, no cure time on a new car.

finally, depends on how much time and effort he wants to spend as to which products...

and first step is inspection- feel the paint with the back of the fingers- if its smooth as a baby's rear, then it does not need clay. if you can feel any roughness then clay is the first step. next, are there swirls? based on the dealer info, it is likley that he installed some free swirls too!! a swirl removal might be needed... that is a polish step and you need a machine and someone who knows how to operate it to teach you - that needs a post in the local forum to find a helpful soul. plenty of them around here.

once the paint is perfect, its ready for a synthetic or wax protectant. and again, how much work does he want to do? i will assume not much and will suggest finish first- a synthetic. you rub it on, very lightly front to back as the air flows over the car. let it cure at least an hour, then wipe it off. that could be finished, or he can do another coat. he can wait until the next time he details the car for the second coat.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by wanabe,Sep 18 2007, 02:58 PM
even if it has been repainted, there are some paint safe glazes out there
Asked about this multiple Times.... and never got an answer.... I recently got the front of end my car repainted, and it needs polishing, because they did an ass job with the rotory they used, and marred the paint Whats something I could use on the paint to protect it, after I polish it? The paint has been curing about.... 10 days?
Old 09-18-2007, 10:38 PM

dealer = dumb aces

Quick Reply: New car