S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

New car

Old 04-27-2004, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New car

Hi,

i've just picked up a black S2000, 2004 model, just wondering should i wax it, or just a quick polish.

Or would a quick rinse with car shampoo do.

Cheers

Migzy
Old 04-27-2004, 09:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

welcome migzy!
shouldnt need to polish it yet, unless it had a really rough trip from the factory (not likely).
(polish is a product that is used to remove old waxes, swirls, etc.- wax is used to protect the surface).

you will get lots of opinions on the best wax/polymer to use-
really depends on whether you have done this before and how much time you have to devote to it.

my vote:
if you have the time, zaino is the way to go
if not, p21s (carnuba)

and if you really have time you can do what i do- zaino with p21s over it!!
Old 04-27-2004, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes you got black, WAX it! It will shine! I actually might not hurt o clay bar it, you would be surprised how much junk will come off of a new car.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

black eh ? you'll soon be in this forum more than you think.. high maintenance colour especially if its your daily driver.. one of our T.O. boyz got so fed up of having to see his dirty all the time, he traded it in for another colour.. no joke..

if you want to keep it shiny all the time, it will require TIME.. I'm with wannabe on this one, zaino and topper of s100 or ps really offers the best in showroom condition
Old 04-28-2004, 12:45 AM

cheers for the advise, quick wipe over should do then, i'm based in the UK, is there any good web sites where i can order the wax.

cheers

migzy
Old 04-28-2004, 07:40 AM

I have also just purchased a new S2000 2004. And with it got the honda touch of class add on. Does anyone know how this will affect future wax/polish jobs?
Old 04-28-2004, 07:54 AM

Originally posted by Chaka_01
I have also just purchased a new S2000 2004. And with it got the honda touch of class add on. Does anyone know how this will affect future wax/polish jobs?
that is a marketing term... you would have to find out what product they actually used.

disadvantage to any of the teflon (or long term) products is that if you really take care of your car, you will end up removing that coating after a year or two- because in a year or two you will want to remove swirls (which you will get with any kind of protection). the teflon type coatings are good for protecting the car, but they will swirl just like any other protection (wax or synethetic). a good swirl removal will also remove the "permanent" type coatings.

if it was me i wouldnt have gotten the add on... and if i did, i would still wax/synthetic over it!
(cause i am a perfectionist, and looking for the deepest wettest look i can get-
btw, i know that most folks are not like me....
but many on this board are- and if you hang out too long here you just might catch our disease!!)
Old 04-28-2004, 07:58 AM

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking along those lines before I purchased it. I should have gone with my gut instinct and not gotten it. I do live by the beach however and this was my biggest concern with not purchacing it. (salty air) Off topic, what are some recomendations for breaking in the car. They never said anything about that. Should I drive easy for the first 1k? or does it really matter.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by Chaka_01
Thanks for your reply. I was thinking along those lines before I purchased it. I should have gone with my gut instinct and not gotten it. I do live by the beach however and this was my biggest concern with not purchacing it. (salty air) Off topic, what are some recomendations for breaking in the car. They never said anything about that. Should I drive easy for the first 1k? or does it really matter.
my thought for the salty air- cover the car.... i live by the beach and also work by the beach. my car is covered even in the garages!
been awhile since i broke the car in, but dont vtec until 1k... (600 miles). and dont vtec until you have 3 bars in the engine temp (i assume the new cars still use bars!?)- other than that, nothing special. i was a bit careful with the brakes (prob not nec), but still dont use them much cause i love to downshift! you might also want to checkout the owners manual for break-in.
i remember getting the car up to well over 100 while in break-in, by shifting before vtec.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:34 AM

what RPM does that car Vtech at?

Quick Reply: New car