S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Need some Help with Car Cleaning

Old 06-03-2006, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some Help with Car Cleaning

My AP1 is my daily driver and it gets a hell of alot of use (bought it last july, didn't drive it in the winter, and I have put almost 27,000 kms on it). Its black with Red interior and the paint isnt looking all its best, and unfortunatly due to lifestyle/work conditions, I don't have much time to spend cleaning the car. Typically I use Zymol auto bath as soap and dry the car with a leather shammy (probally spelling that wrong but you get the picture). As for Interior, I use a BMW cleaner (which my father uses to clean his M5.. its a thicker gel material which brings it back to what I would call a original finish and definatly you can see the leather still has its oils in it but grips very well.. not like armarol... hate that stuff with a passion...).

Anyways, I am new to waxing and have never done it before (although I do own a little jar of Zymol wax.. the hard blue one...not at home right now so cant tell which one it is).

The car will be going monday or tuesday to a detailer for a steam cleaning and claying. So after that is done, that is where I need the help. How can I keep my car looking good the longest (usually wash my car once every week - 2 weeks) and protect it from the sun and dirt and what not...should I be using carnuba wax or switch to synthetic... I have no clue how to apply wax neways..lol...gotta learn.. (should i be doing it by hand, or pick up a something mechanical to use?

Also, what is a good rim cleaner that is strong (original wheels here)? I use Gramsport GS3 pads in the front (which create brake dust like a mofo and incredibly tough to get off) and Hawk HP+ in the rears.

This newbie to car cleaning thanks you guys in advance for your advice.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:46 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

leather shammy
Might wanna stop using these. The natural oils in a "real" chamois can take the shine (wax/polish) off a car. If you feel you must use a chamois, find an artificial one. Many people use those "big blue" microfiber towels.

I don't have much time to spend cleaning the car.
And yet you do this ..........................
usually wash my car once every week - 2 weeks
Is it because you feel you must? Or does the car actually need washing that often? I wash it when it needs it. If it isn't dirty, why wash it?
Most car waxes and polishes have instructions written on the bottle. As for the rest of your questions, I'll let the experts here elaborate.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:57 AM

I use the Leather chamois simply becuase I think they actually take the water off better thatn those super absorbant blue microfibre towels (they just keep streaking and dont take the water off. at least what I find...). If its a matter of the leather taking away the wax, then I will use the blue one.

I wash the car every week to 2 weeks and thats already stretching it. And I only do that simply becuase it really requires it. Put it this way, I washed my car wed of last week, and right now my stock rims are complelty black in the front, my paint has water stains from the rain, and dirt and dust galore which is making my black paint look extremly dull and very Brown in colour.

I work as a manager in a construction office, we manufacture Stucco, and deal alot with cements (so you can imagine all the dust which potentially floats around, and my house is covered with trees (evergreens and others which "shed" onto my car). also all the pollen seems to stick to my car.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:52 AM

If you really felt the need to wax that often, I would switch to a liquid wax rather than the hard paste. If you are looking for something which is pretty easy to find and fairly basic, even the Meguiars Gold Class liquid wax is pretty decent. Just follow the instructions on the bottle carefully and you should be ok.

Just remember with wax application, less is definitely more. The putting on more doesn't do anything except make it really hard to get off.

As for your wheels, find yourself a really good degreaser. I use "purple power" which is just something that I get at Wal-Mart and it is pretty awesome. You might have to try a few out before you find one that works well with the brake dust that you are dealing with.

Jon
Old 06-03-2006, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as drying the car after washing, I use a blue artificial chamois (shammy) usually. But today, I washed one of our other cars (dark maroon) and tried using a large microfiber towel for drying instead. After I finished, there were streaks of water residue all over. Before I could do anything more, the phone rang. After a long phone converstaion, I went back out to finish drying, and all the streaks were gone, and the car looked fine. Use either the artificial chamois or a big MF towel -- whichever you like best. Real chamois do tend to strip wax.

If your paint is looking bad, start with a cleaner, then apply a glaze, and then apply a carnauba wax. Meguiar's No. 26 is a good one. Then lightly spray Eagle One Wipe & Shine, and polish with a MF cloth for a finishing touch. Use the Wipe and shine after every wash (does not take long), and re-apply the wax maybe three times a year -- or when water won't bead on the paint. This is my method, and is similar to that used by many on this board. Others on this board prefer a synthetic polish like Zaino. I'll let others advise you on this, as I've never used it.

If after-market brake pads are giving you a brake dust problem on your wheels, I feel your pain! One of our other cars is a Mercedes Benz, and these are notorious for turning the front wheels black in just a few mles. If you are having this problem, I recommend PS 21 -- available from a number of mail order and internet sellers. It cleans very well, plus it leaves a residue on the wheels that makes cleaning easier thereafter. My S 2000 has stock brake pads, and I find that any "garden variety" wheel cleaner works fine.

For your top, vinyl, and leather, I recommend 303 as a finish and protectant. Contains UV protection. If you AP1 has the plastic rear window as mine does, you can keep it like new by spraying 303 on it and leaving it for a few hours, and then cleaning the window off with Plexus.

Hope this helps,
Richard
Old 06-03-2006, 09:31 AM

I don't want to wax it too often ( I can deal with 3 times a year). Usually when I start washing my car its 7pm or even later at night and before I even finish drying, it gets dark outside and can't see what im doing.

So now you say a Cleaner. which is a good one? what is a good glaze?

So I should wash my car, then put on the cleaner (which product), then glaze (which product) then the wax. (I don't mean to be difficult guys, just trying to figure everything out so i dont mess up).

Who makes 303?
Old 06-03-2006, 09:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

great advice above... i just gotta add that it sounds like what you really are missing is a car cover. from what you describe, a cover would help you out a lot.

as far as what is a good glaze, i like the 3m swirl remover- which they recently changed back to calling a glaze again. a paint cleaner is pretty much similar to a glaze or light swirl remover (a glaze contains some filler). i used a meg paint cleaner (medallion) recently that i liked, but gotta look up the specific product.
i also like 1z, which is similar to a paint cleaner as i recall.

303 is made by 303.

will get some links and post back here in a few

---------

the 3m swirl remover/glaze is here (notice the shine on the car in this ad... wonder whose car that is!?):
http://properautocare.com/3mperswirmar.html

303 info:
http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=home

and the 1z info- this one will work, and they also have one that they call a cleaner, but i like this the best of the two:
http://www.pelicanpartsexpress.com/catalog..._einszt_pg4.htm
Old 06-03-2006, 09:51 AM

Hey, no problem. 3M makes a good cleaner and a good hand applied glaze (#0599). You can get these at a car parts store. If they don't have them, you can go to a supplier of auto paint and detailing supplies.

You apply the cleaner first after a wash and buff it off. Then you apply the glaze and buff it off. Then, apply the wax, and buff it off. I recommended Meguiar's No. 26 liquid wax for you, as it leaves no "white haze" to buff off like some wax products do. As you have a black car, you will appreciate this fact. Then after you buff the wax, you can apply Eagle One Wipe & Shine.

For waxings thereafter, you will probably be able to get along with just the Meguiar's No. 26 for a good long time. You will find the Meguair's No. 26 wax to be very easy and quick to apply and buff off. Use it sparingly, just making sure you have full coverage. It buffs very easily. I can literally wax my S 2000 with it in five or ten minutes. This is time saved when it comes to washings, as it can be a real pain to wash an unwaxed car. Keep it waxed, and the dirt will tend to just fall off.

It's too bad that car parts stores don't carry 303 in many areas. In some areas, you can buy it at Ace Hardware. Many boat stores cary it. You can order it from Performance Products (www.performanceproducts.com). They've got a good deal on a gallon of this stuf for $44.95 plus shipping.

For those without a garage, a car cover makes good sense.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 06-03-2006, 09:53 AM

I actually do have a car cover, but the car dosen't sit still for more than an hour or 2, and I have my laptop and drawings always sitting in the trunk and then my gym bag (I like to think that I can actually make this car a pratcial every day car and refuse to pick up something else..lol)(usually don't have room to carry the cover and don't have the time or seems unreasonable to cover it just for a few mins).

I'll start looking up some of these products.

So this is the process im about to get my self into right now.

Car will go in for a Steam Clean & Claying. At that point should I get it back and go with the cleaner or to hell with it and just get it waxed (does the cleaner remove the wax, and how often should it be applied?)

After its all waxed up (or should i put a glaze down before the wax, or do you put it on after?) I go with the Eagle 1 Polish (Wipe & Shine)

I appologize in advance for being dumb as a door knob when it comes to cleaning. I just likes to drive em.. dont likes to clean em..
Old 06-03-2006, 10:00 AM

See my post above about the order of applying these products. I recommended the "cleaner-glaze-wax-detailing spray" routine to you because I understood your paint is "in need of some love" at the moment. After you do this process, you may actually never have to go through all these steps again IF you keep your car protected with wax.

Thanks,
Richard