S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

NEED HELP! What am i doing wrong?

Old 10-21-2010, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP! What am i doing wrong?

The PROBLEM: My car looks good after I detailed it myself, but the only problem is the hood of the car.
-It doesn't look glossy clean (mirror like) compared to everywhere else of the car.
-When light is reflected on the paint of the hood, it looks VERY blurry and not clear(which is how I want it). When light is reflected elsewhere of the car, it is certainly clear and a mirror-like reflection.

I owned the car for almost a year now. (bought used). Maybe the pre-owner did some kind of mistake when detailing the hood of the car???

My question is... Has the clear coat wore off from the paint???
If yes, what can i do to fix it??
If no, what is the problem and how would i be able to fix it???

[Trying to get picts, but dont have a camera with me at the moment...]

Thx for the help guys!
Old 10-21-2010, 01:46 PM

pics would help a lot, are there swirls in the paint? or is the paint just dull?
Old 10-21-2010, 02:00 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

we really do need pictures.
but my guess is,....the hood is the most common place a person will attempt to wax or detail so more than likely the previous owner messed it up and it just needs a good polish
Old 10-22-2010, 04:23 AM

Can you describe for us what you have done in the past to detail your car? Do you work exclusively by hand or do you also have a dual action polisher? Have you tried to polish the car? What products do you own?

If you want to restore gloss and clarity to the hood, you need to polish the paint--this means actually removing a microscopic layer of the clearcoat and leveling the paint surface. The best and most efficient way to do this is to use a dual action polisher, but this is a big investment. It is possible to polish a car by hand, though this is hard and time-consuming work; but if you're only working on the hood, it's doable.

You will need the following:

(1) Foam applicators. Unfortunately, most auto stores do not carry foam applicators. Microfiber applicators seem to be the rage, yet I have found the microfiber applicators can mar our soft Honda paint. I am told that marine stores sometimes carry foam applicators. I order my applicators online.

(2) Meguiar's SwirlX and Ultimate Compound. Both are available from local auto stores. Both are easy to use and are perfect for hand polishing. Because of they do not contain diminishing abrasives, you do not have to worry about breaking down the abrasives to achieve optimal results.

After washing and drying the car, pull the car into the garage or into the shade. You want to first do a test spot, maybe 1'x1' squared. Begin with the SwirlX. Vigorously work it into the paint surface and then remove with a microfiber towel. Do not allow it to dry. Inspect. Does the paint look better? Have you achieved the level of paint correction for which you were hoping? If not, try again. If you are still not getting the hoped-for results, then step up to Ultimate Compound. Repeat the procedure. If you are happy with the results, then proceed to polish the entire hood. Work a small area at a time. If you have used Ultimate Compound, you will probably want to follow-up with SwirlX to remove any micro-marring left behind by the compound and further refine the paint surface. When you have finished polishing the hood, apply your favorite wax or sealant.

If the above sounds like too much work--and it is a lot of work--then you might just try applying a cleaner wax like Meguiar's ColorX. ColorX will remove oxidation, staining, and old wax and will restore a real measure of clarity to the paint. You want to work it into the surface more vigorously than you would an ordinary wax, but unlike a polish you do not need to remove immediately; rather, let it dry to a haze and then buff off with a microfiber towel. It's a great one-step over-the-counter product.