S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

need help on wax

Old 04-29-2008, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help on wax

hey im gettinf confuse on how to use wax on the buffer. do you buff it till the wax break down or something? is it better to use a bonnet?
Old 04-29-2008, 12:07 PM
Former Moderator

Wax by hand. Use the buffer on swirls.

I've been around detailing a long time. I have never nor I have I ever seen a professional use a buffer to apply wax.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:50 PM

so if you buff by hand do you buff it til it break down?
Old 04-29-2008, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by albe,Apr 29 2008, 12:50 PM
so if you buff by hand do you buff it til it break down?
I'm not sure I understand the question. What do you mean "break down?" And what kind of wax are we talking about?

Mostly I think of it sort of like spreading wax onto the car, in much the same way you might butter a piece of toast. You're not trying to break anything down, just apply a thin coating of the stuff.

I'd also say that with *most* (not all) waxes, you wait for them to dry, and then remove them at that point. Zymol waxes I've used (mostly Carbon) are not like this though - you remove those when they're still pretty wet.

Does that help, or have I missed the question entirely?
Old 04-29-2008, 01:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A buffer may not be necessary, but you can put a coat on way quicker with one than by hand.

You don't need to worry about breaking down the wax as you would with a cleaner type product. Just put a coat on, let it dry and buff off.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You apply wax by hand. Do not let the wax set for too long, or it can be a bear to remove. Waxes like P21S and Lusso Oro are applied, usually wait a minute or two, then wipe off. No need for a buffer or to break down the wax. Breaking down a product usually applies to compunds/polishes. Like mentioned above, it's kinda like putting"butter on toast".

What wax are you using BTW?
Old 04-29-2008, 02:06 PM

i been using MG Tech Wax for about 3 weeks now. i think i kinda get the point now. Thanks for the help everyone
Old 04-29-2008, 02:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok. Just apply that wax by hand, wait a few minutes, then buff off.

Good luck, and post up some pics of your clean car!!
Old 04-29-2008, 02:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

also check out our how-to thread at the top of our board...
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=221878

there is pretty much no right or wrong way for an enthusiast to wax- there are easier and harder ways though!!
it all depends on products- synthetics want to be applied as thin as possible. waxes like thin, but not as big of deal.
and a pro does not have time to machine wax, but us enthusiasts do it for fun some times (i apply by taking the wax out of the container so i can rub it on the pad- and remove with a lambswool under a microfiber bonnet).
the other extreme is "hand wax"- a lot of work... and very few pros have time for this either. i have been hand waxing my wifes honda bike lately. you warm the wax in your hands and then dig out small amounts and work into your fingers. then rub into the paint. its a whole lotta work, and only for the really wacko wackos among us. i have to admit you do get a different experience "feeling" your car with wax!!

as mentioned above, the normal person applies waxes over a clean car (swirls removed by polishing, and any embedded particles removed by clay after washing). some waxes (p21s for example) have to be removed immediately. others like to sit on the car (synthetics) for awhile and cure.
also remember there are very few normal people hanging out here!!
Old 04-29-2008, 04:50 PM

Man, if it is really troubling you, I just got a nifty little camcorder, I will video myself applying car wax and removing it. haha

Quick Reply: need help on wax