S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

need help removing tree saps

Old 05-31-2004, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help removing tree saps

just wash my car today and put on 2 coats of zaino. Anyways, I took my car to the golf course. When I got home, noticed a few rough spots all over my car. Took a flash light for a closer look and it turned out those rough spots came from the saps from the tree where I parked next to at the golf course. I couldn't find another parking spot at the time. I want to know should I wash my car again or can I get them off with zaino. I don't want to wash my car again.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by RotoRooter
just wash my car today and put on 2 coats of zaino. Anyways, I took my car to the golf course. When I got home, noticed a few rough spots all over my car. Took a flash light for a closer look and it turned out those rough spots came from the saps from the tree where I parked next to at the golf course. I couldn't find another parking spot at the time. I want to know should I wash my car again or can I get them off with zaino. I don't want to wash my car again.
not always easy to get sap off...
you will need to wash the car at least once more- and will need to rezaino the areas that are affected after the sap removal.

our member autopia wrote this:
http://autopia-carcare.com/autopia/inf-tar.html
Old 06-03-2004, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may make a difference if the tree sap is in tiny spots, or is in big globs. Tiny spots that just feel rough can often be removed via clay bar. The big globs are a different story, in my experience.

Tried to get rid of big globs of pine tree sap on a car once, and found all the "bug and tar removers" useless. Couldn't use any kind of abrasive compound, as the globs were too soft for this. The only thing that worked was rubbing alcohol. I know that one is not supposed to apply this to automotive finishes. But I used just a small amount on an old towel, and did no damage. Wish I knew of a better solution.

Thanks
Richard
Old 06-03-2004, 09:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dolebludger
I may make a difference if the tree sap is in tiny spots, or is in big globs. Tiny spots that just feel rough can often be removed via clay bar. The big globs are a different story, in my experience.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:44 PM

ICE !!!

Take a piece of ice and rub it on the tree sap. much of it will come right off and the rest will flake off with your finger nail after it gets cold and hardens.

Works great and is non-abrasive!!!

An old timer told me about this method when I was complaining about how I had tried 3 or 4 products on my car with no success. He went in my house and came out with a cup of ice. Started rubbing it on the sap and within 1 or 2 minutes he had it all removed.

The ice also will not strip any existing zaino off surrounding the area!
Old 06-03-2004, 10:29 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NECurve
ICE !!!

Take a piece of ice and rub it on the tree sap.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:34 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts

ICE!
wow..that's an idea i never thought of...thanks
i'll try it today as well
Old 06-05-2004, 07:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great idea! Never would have thought about ice.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:17 PM

WD-40 ...wash -n- wax the area once the goop is off.

Nuf said.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please allow me to add this comment. One time I was attempting to clean PINE TREE sap from a car's finish, it was below freezing outisde where the car was, so I don't think ice would have done the trick. With sap from other species of trees, it might well have worked. But the pine tree sap was still very sticky and soft. Only the rubbing alcohol worked, in this instance. Under other circumstances, I'd try the ice first.

Thanks,
Richard

Quick Reply: need help removing tree saps