S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Need help removing sand from paint.

Old 04-12-2004, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to add, I'd recommend also checking your rubber seals to ensure no sand got in between them
Old 04-12-2004, 08:09 AM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand how sand could bake/embed into the cars paint.

Can you take pictures?
Old 04-13-2004, 03:36 PM

I don't really understand how sand could become so embedded in the paint. Is it possible that you may have parked your car somewhere where you may have had paint overspray or tree sap fall on your car? Some of the paints used in industrial settings do a fine job of adhering and drying quickly to whatever they happen to contact.

One approach I would never have believed would work but have had performed on my car (not the S) is cleaning with a razor blade scraper !

I had epoxy paint overspray get on my car at the chemical plant where I work. A professional detailing company was contacted to clean approximately 75 cars. At first I thought "no way". After listening to the people talk about the procedure and watching them do several cars I let them do my car. The results were incredible. For starters, this technique is often used on brand new cars that are exposed to industrial fall out or paint at port of entry while waiting to be transported to dealers. They cleaned up 3000 Nissans in Jacksonville or Charlotte before coming to our plant to do our cars.

The concept makes sense but is scary to watch and probably very dependent on skill of person to avoid damage. What they do is use a lubricant like soap and begin literally scraping the car's surface. They are not trying to cut the paint dots off as much as they are knocking them off from the force of direct blows of the blade on each dot as they move the scraper across the surface. When they were done scraping my car, I couldn't fine evidence of more than just a few swirl marks. After scraping they use a swirl remover to make sure they erase any marks and follow with wax.

Good as new when they finished and believe me, I'm anal about the appearance of my car.

Might be worth checking availability of this in your area.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:13 PM

Our car rarely leaves the garage. The only thing I can think of is the sand go sucked into the garage and with how hot it gets in Vegas it baked it in the paint. Three of our cars have the same thing. Makes the paint look like it has metallic in it.

Here is a pic of the failed clay attempt that left some scratches. You can see how bad the sand is
Old 04-13-2004, 04:22 PM

Wow, that is terrible ! I'd cry if my car got junk on it like that. Suggest taking it to several local professionals for evaluation and see if they can come up with anything.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:30 PM

Old 04-13-2004, 10:26 PM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Looks a lots worse than I imagined.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:52 AM
Former Moderator

I'm stumped!
Old 04-14-2004, 08:29 AM

I've seen this before when the temperature reached 120+ for an extended duration. We solved the problem using duct tape to mechanically grab the particles and pull them off the paint. You will need to do it when the temp is below 80. Just lay it on in 12-18" strips, pat it down, and rip it off!

When finished I removed tape residue with mineral spirits, compounded and re-polished the car. It was fine and had no lasting marks.

db
Old 04-14-2004, 09:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow, great idea db!!!
i like that better than the clay patting...

Quick Reply: Need help removing sand from paint.