S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

NEED help with clay bar

Old 05-18-2012, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED help with clay bar

Alright so let me explain. I bought a clay bar kit with liquid wax. I don't use the wax I'm currently using ice from turtle wax. Now for basic questions first how do I use this bar correctly. I'm sorry completely new to it. Now I apply the lubricant that came with the kit and then form the clay into a disc to use on the car. I spray the lubricant and go back and forth with the bar. I'm trying to get rid of some water spots on my rear quarter panel but it isn't working. Any ideas of what I could be doing wrong. I know I'm right but want to make sure. After I use the bar I want to wax the car correct?

Thanks,
Elliott
Old 05-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Elliot,

sure thing.

take a look at this video.

https://detailersdomain.com/Adams-Cl...pray_p_62.html

waterspots depending on how long they have been on the car may not come out unless you compound or polish.

Phil
Old 05-18-2012, 02:46 PM

I didn't see a video.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:06 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0_pFgsjlJk

He is super excessive with the detail spray. Don't be stingy but try not to waste.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Clay bars are not intended for removing water spots. Polish (and compound if necessary) is what you need for waterspots. Claying is for removing embedded contaminants in the paint.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by slanguage
Clay bars are not intended for removing water spots. Polish (and compound if necessary) is what you need for waterspots. Claying is for removing embedded contaminants in the paint.
I keep hearing you mention this polish.lol. Do I use the polish after a wash and then wax the car or after a wax?
Old 05-20-2012, 07:30 PM

[quote name='importkid' timestamp='1337403971' post='21711750']
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0_pFgsjlJk

He is super excessive with the detail spray. Don't be stingy but try not to waste.
[/quote

Very helpful thank you. Looks like something I'll do over the weekend when i have more time.

I'm going to ask may get flamed but is there a video out there of maybe 20 mins of info? Basically going over all you should do for a complete detail of your vehicle. I currently (taking a break from detailing as we speak) wash, clean the rims with the rag then go over with aluminum cleaner, wax, tire shine, clean the leather (cleaner and conditioner), wipe down the interior with armor all wipes and that's it. I'm sure I could make it last all day but anything important that I'm missing to help preserve the cars interior and exterior?
Old 05-21-2012, 07:56 AM

In the stickies for this section there is a how to section.

http://home.comcast.net/~michael.coh..._Hand_Book.pdf

What we mean when we say polish is using a machine to buff the imperfections out of the car. You use compound or polish of different hardness's (like sand paper) to remove imperfections in the paint. Older paint becomes swirled and dull, polishing brings life back into the paint and makes it look new. Google detailing forums and look for black cars before and after, you'll see what we mean.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by walrus3.0
Not a video but links to cars done by detailersdomain and a good reference

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/940...nteriorengine/

skip out on the armor all, it's makes your plastics dependent on it and without frequent application, your dash/plastic will begin to dry out and crack.
What would you recommend to get the dust off the interior and to protect the dash from sun damage?

Also, guys can I buy this polish and just apply it by hand?
Old 05-21-2012, 01:13 PM

You won't see real results from hand polishing.

Check out detailersdomain.com for interior cleaner or google chemical guys.

For my dash, center console, and seats I use Adams leather conditioner. It has SPF (60?) in it to prevent UV damage, smells decent, and makes the leather really soft and rich looking.

Quick Reply: NEED help with clay bar