S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Need help on choosing products.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a lot of Meguiar's products. I think they would a good place for you to begin, especially since they are competitively priced and available at local auto stores. Mother's and Duragloss also offer good OTC products.

1) Wash shampoo - take your pick. I'd go either with Meguiar's (Gold Class or NXT) or Duragloss 901.

2) Claybar - Meguiar's or Mother's claybar kits should be fine for you. These kits come with a bottle of detailing spray for use as a clay lubricant. I clay my car in the spring and fall.

3) Meguiar's ColorX - use this periodically (two or three times a year) as a pre-wax cleanser. It will also provide you with a layer of protection. Top it with a wax/sealant of your choice.

4) Protectants (waxes and sealants) - you have lots of choices here: Megs' NXT, Duragloss 105, Collinite 845. Meguiar's has also re-formulated their Gold Class wax under the name Gold Class Carnauba Plus. It has just started to show up on the shelves. I also recommend using Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax as a wax booster. It's very easy to use and will keep your car looking shiny and reflective.

5) Interior - as an all-around interior product, you can't beat Megs' Quik Interior Detailer. Use it regularly. It leaves a very low-gloss, matte finish. Only 1Z Cockpit Premium (which I love) leaves less gloss. You can use it on plastic, vinyl, leather, even your instrument panel. Its cleansing capacity is limited, so if you need more cleaning power, you'll have to step up to an APC or a dedicated vinyl cleaner. Meguiar's has also just a new product called Ultimate Protectant, which you can use on all your vinyl and plastic (but not leather). UP has been getting excellent advance reviews. It will provide UV protection. It's definitely a product for you to consider. As far as leather cleaning, I'm not sure what to recommend. I use the Leather Master cleaner and protectant myself.

You may find this article helpful: Your Daily Driver. Check out especially the linked videos.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by akimel,Jan 17 2010, 06:24 AM
I use a lot of Meguiar's products. I think they would a good place for you to begin, especially since they are competitively priced and available at local auto stores. Mother's and Duragloss also offer good OTC products.

1) Wash shampoo - take your pick. I'd go either with Meguiar's (Gold Class or NXT) or Duragloss 901.

2) Claybar - Meguiar's or Mother's claybar kits should be fine for you. These kits come with a bottle of detailing spray for use as a clay lubricant. I clay my car in the spring and fall.

3) Meguiar's ColorX - use this periodically (two or three times a year) as a pre-wax cleanser. It will also provide you with a layer of protection. Top it with a wax/sealant of your choice.

4) Protectants (waxes and sealants) - you have lots of choices here: Megs' NXT, Duragloss 105, Collinite 845. Meguiar's has also re-formulated their Gold Class wax under the name Gold Class Carnauba Plus. It has just started to show up on the shelves. I also recommend using Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax as a wax booster. It's very easy to use and will keep your car looking shiny and reflective.

5) Interior - as an all-around interior product, you can't beat Megs' Quik Interior Detailer. Use it regularly. It leaves a very low-gloss, matte finish. Only 1Z Cockpit Premium (which I love) leaves less gloss. You can use it on plastic, vinyl, leather, even your instrument panel. Its cleansing capacity is limited, so if you need more cleaning power, you'll have to step up to an APC or a dedicated vinyl cleaner. Meguiar's has also just a new product called Ultimate Protectant, which you can use on all your vinyl and plastic (but not leather). UP has been getting excellent advance reviews. It will provide UV protection. It's definitely a product for you to consider. As far as leather cleaning, I'm not sure what to recommend. I use the Leather Master cleaner and protectant myself.

You may find this article helpful: Your Daily Driver. Check out especially the linked videos.
Thanks for that link, really cleared alot confusion i had.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by adamjgriffin,Jan 17 2010, 03:25 AM
Sonus clay

I find products short on the ground and really expensive in Australia. With that in mind I use Sonus clay bars, the ultrafine as above, and Meguiars detailing spray as a lubricant. Saves me buying two bottles of product I have used Sonus for many years and never had an issue.
thanks for that product. but i guess i will start with the Meguiars claybar first.. i just tested my car.... it does not have the glass surface.

btw, am i right the clay bars are all one time use only?!
Old 01-17-2010, 04:48 PM

clay bar usage- rip a chunk off and only use that piece to begin with. If you need more tear off another chunk. You should be able to get a nummber of cars done with one bar, depending on their condition.