S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Need advice using polish/wax & orbital buffer

Old 09-10-2001, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice using polish/wax & orbital buffer

I bought a 10" random orbital buffer from Wal-mart. Never used one before so I have a few questions. (btw, since I never used one before I decided to test it out first on my brother's black Camry)

After washing the car with Meguair's car shampoo, I used Eagle One Wet Polish on the black Camry. After the polish, I used Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax. I was pleased with the results considering that the black paint had no gloss before the buffing and now it has a shine.

My question is, how much of the stuff (wax, polish, etc.) do I put on the terry cloth bonnets?

Do I need a separate bonnet for the polish and wax or can I put both onto one bonnet?

After applying the polish and wax, I used new terry cloth bonnets to buff, changing into new bonnets when needed. Is this the correct technique?

Also, the bonnets used for the wax and polish were dark gray to almost black after I finished using them. I hope this is the dirt that has collected on the paint after so many months of neglect and not the actual paint. (keep in mind that I did wash the car before I started polishing and waxing) I was surprised at the amount of dirt. Is this normal?

If anyone could help out a newbie at this or would like to share techniques/tips or proper method of polishing/waxing with an orbital buffer, I'd very much appreciate it.
Old 09-11-2001, 06:59 PM

My first question to you is why are you using Eagle One, then following it up with a cleaner? It should be the other way around. You need a cleaner to remove oxidation (why the paint is dull), then follow it up with a good wax or polish. How much stuff you use on the bonnets is simply enough to coat the surface of the paint (assuming a wax or polish). For a cleaner, I would go with something specifically designed for a machine buffer and follow the directions.

I don't know how good that Wal-mart buffer is (and I assume it's not very good based on price), but I use the buffer for removing scratches in the paint, and not to apply/remove polish or wax. I'm not saying that it can't be done, I choose to wax/polish by hand. I believe the bonnets are changing color simply due to the wax build up on them and from the wax drying too. It could be dirt as you say, but it's probably due to the oxidation of the paint. If the car has a clear coat, I wouldn't think you're removing paint with that buffer and a mild cleaner such as the one you're using. You can use the same bonnet, as long as you thoroughly clean it (using soap) before using a different product on it.
Old 09-11-2001, 09:00 PM

I thought polishes were supposed to be used before adding a wax. My thought was that polishing would bring the color out and the wax would protect the finish. It just so happened that I'm using the Meguiar's cleaner/wax in one. Should I get a cleaner and wax separately? Tell me if this is the correct order or not.

1.Cleaner
2.Wax
3. Polish

Also, I assumed that all random orbital buffers are the same. What factors would determine what is a good quality buffer? And yes, the Wal-mart buffer only cost me $20.
Old 09-11-2001, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by Fooman
I thought polishes were supposed to be used before adding a wax. My thought was that polishing would bring the color out and the wax would protect the finish. It just so happened that I'm using the Meguiar's cleaner/wax in one. Should I get a cleaner and wax separately? Tell me if this is the correct order or not.

1.Cleaner
2.Wax
3. Polish

Also, I assumed that all random orbital buffers are the same. What factors would determine what is a good quality buffer? And yes, the Wal-mart buffer only cost me $20.
It depends on the polish. The Eagle One Wet look is more like a wax since it protects like a wax. The only reason to get a cleaner that's separate from a wax is if you need a stronger one. If the one you're using is bringing back the gloss and removing water spots and oxidation, then stick with it. If not, move on to something a little more abrasive. You should always wax *after* you use a cleaner. With today's waxes, you really don't need a polish in between cleaning and waxing.

Not all buffers are the same. I use a Porter and Cable, and it's contractor grade quality which means it *should* last a lot longer than the one you got. The one I use also uses hook and loop pads, whereas the one you're using is a slip on type of bonnet. Hook and loop pads will stay on longer (IME) than the slip on type. Does that make the one you're using junk? Not really, if it does the job you intended it to do, then you got yourself a deal.

Once you get out the oxidation from the paint, do yourself a favor and try Zaino at www.zainobros.com - I've found that it's far better than wax and nothing I've used beats its deep gloss.
Old 09-12-2001, 01:25 PM

Yeah I think I will try out the Zaino products or the Meguiar's Hi-end wax. I've heard great compliments about both. Right now, I'm trying to finish up whatever I have left instead of wasting them.

I don't know the quality of my buffer in terms of reliability. The only gripe I have about it is that I bought the 10" one which makes buffering small areas like the bumper more difficult. I will have to use my hand.

By the way, was my order correct in which I'm supposed to use?

1. Cleaner (if needed)
2. Wax
3. Polish

Like I said, I thought by using a polish (other than Eagle One), you would be stripping old wax. But from reading your previous posts, that doesn't seem to be the case.
Old 09-12-2001, 02:55 PM

Your order is right, I don't think polishes strip wax, I know cleaners do. Like I said earlier, with today's waxes, you don't need a polish in-between cleaners and waxes. Eagle One is a fine product as I used to use it before switching to Zaino. It gave a nice deep shine, but the finish only lasts as long as wax. Keep in mind Zaino is not a wax, and the finish will keep a lot longer than a wax.
Old 09-12-2001, 04:31 PM

I tried Eagle One on my Integra. It's white and I polished/buffed it in the evening. It looked nice, but under the floodlight, I noticed hard water spots that I couldn't get rid of even with the polish twice. Should I use the polish and rub in it hard by hand? I was told not to apply additional force with the buffer.

Besides Zaino, as I can't find it at any local store, what other polish or waxes would you recommend? Especially something to get rid of water spots.

By the way, thank you so much for all the help. I really appreciate it.

-ben
Old 09-12-2001, 10:03 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fooman
[B]I tried Eagle One on my Integra. It's white and I polished/buffed it in the evening. It looked nice, but under the floodlight, I noticed hard water spots that I couldn't get rid of even with the polish twice. Should I use the polish and rub in it hard by hand? I was told not to apply additional force with the buffer.