S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

need advice a new polish

Old 10-10-2012, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice a new polish

Hi all, just wondering what polish to try out nfor next season. I have been using megs ultimate compound for good results, but still cant get that swirl/spiderwebbing free finish. Ive detailed a few cars this past season with this polish with good results, but looking for a flawless finish. Ive got a Griots DA with a orange/white/ blue pad, so i think my tools are fine, just looking for something else to try. I;ve been detailing cars for 20 + yrs, so i know the basics just in case some of you were wondering. And for those who know me know i keep my car in flawless condition due to the fact that the cars finish is already flawless. Seems like everybody that wants me to detail there cars are owners of black cars. black is the nicest color, but also a real PITA to get that perfect finish. was thinking about adams polish or chemical guys. what do you guys think? thanks in advance.
nelson
Old 10-10-2012, 04:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Menzerna, 'nuff said.

Sent from my Broodcomb using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Former Sponsor

for a compound I would consider Meg's M105 and Meg's D300 and the microfiber cutting pads, and to finish you should try Menzerna SF4000.

Try the Uber Yellow Pads, Uber Green Pads, Uber Microfiber Cutting Pads.

Just curious what types of cars are you working on?
Old 10-10-2012, 08:22 PM

I'm surprised that you are not able to remove all the swirls with Ultimate Compound. I have found our S2K paint to be quite soft and easy to correct. I do always have to follow-up UC with M205 to remove any marring left behind by UC. True perfectionists would probably want to finish up with a true finishing polish like Menzerna PO85RD, but I'm not a perfectionist.

If you need a stronger compound than Ultimate Compound, then, as already suggested, you may want to give M105 a try, following up with the milder polishes of your choice. Phil knows what he's talking about, so I'd follow his recommendations. I'm sure he'd be happy to talk to you further about this on the telephone and get you set right.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by akimel
I'm surprised that you are not able to remove all the swirls with Ultimate Compound. I have found our S2K paint to be quite soft and easy to correct. I do always have to follow-up UC with M205 to remove any marring left behind by UC. True perfectionists would probably want to finish up with a true finishing polish like Menzerna PO85RD, but I'm not a perfectionist.

If you need a stronger compound than Ultimate Compound, then, as already suggested, you may want to give M105 a try, following up with the milder polishes of your choice. Phil knows what he's talking about, so I'd follow his recommendations. I'm sure he'd be happy to talk to you further about this on the telephone and get you set right.
to everything there.

Not finishing down fine enough is likely the problem. If you truly need to cut more, then you might need to look into a rotary/Flex polisher.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:05 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dwight
Originally Posted by akimel' timestamp='1349929352' post='22074233

to everything there.

Not finishing down fine enough is likely the problem. If you truly need to cut more, then you might need to look into a rotary/Flex polisher.
Agree totally here. Ultimate compound should not ideally be used as a polish it is for cutting. Maybe try Ultimate polish or m205 after the Ultimate compound. My results with these is very good. Just IMHO.

Brian
Old 10-13-2012, 07:47 PM

the last car i detailed was a 05 honda accord coupe v6, although it turned out a whole lot better then what if looked like when i got it, i could still see alot of the deeper scratches. Other cars i've worked on were chevy's, fords, and mazda rx8, all were black ! again all looked 100% better, but still not perfect. Maybe i could try working the megs ultimate compound a little longer then finishing up with ultimate polish as a finishing polish. thanks for the feedback guys. I also have optimum polish and optimum polish 2 that i have not tried yet, suppose to be good polish?
Old 10-14-2012, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by bexiga
the last car i detailed was a 05 honda accord coupe v6, although it turned out a whole lot better then what if looked like when i got it, i could still see alot of the deeper scratches. Other cars i've worked on were chevy's, fords, and mazda rx8, all were black ! again all looked 100% better, but still not perfect. Maybe i could try working the megs ultimate compound a little longer then finishing up with ultimate polish as a finishing polish. thanks for the feedback guys. I also have optimum polish and optimum polish 2 that i have not tried yet, suppose to be good polish?
Yes. That sounds good. IF NEEDED you could also try stepping up to a Lake Country yellow pad and or some Meguiars M105 which is a bit more abrasive than UC. I have never used Optimum products but I understand that they are excellent.

Brian
Old 10-14-2012, 05:13 AM

Some helpful info:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...hind-term.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-polisher.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...prise-you.html

The master list of fantastic info: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-phillips.html
Old 10-14-2012, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by 06S2k07Si
Yes. That sounds good. IF NEEDED you could also try stepping up to a Lake Country yellow pad and or some Meguiars M105 which is a bit more abrasive than UC. I have never used Optimum products but I understand that they are excellent.

Brian
Feeling them by hand, yellow is way more coarse than orange. I'm not sure how much more it cuts because the orange has always been sufficient. Another thought is that for a DA, you can switch to a smaller pad for more cutting.

Quick Reply: need advice a new polish