S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Mystery scratch

Old 02-24-2004, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery scratch

This is really strange, and also depressing...

So I proceeded to Z6 my car today and put on the final layer (Carnuba), and as I was doing this i noticed a 1 foot long, single hair width scratch on the passenger side of my front bumper... thing is, I hadn't taken my car out nor was anyone near it for at least 48 hours. Furthermore, it definately wasn't there while I was waxing, I would have noticed it while I was either applying the wax or buffing...

Then I remembered that my mom and dad had forgotten to close the garage yesterday and after further inspection I noticed a bunch of cloth shreds from a shirt I tore up a couple days back... they definately weren't in the same place that I had put them and one was VERY close to where the scratch was.

From the looks of the angle of the scratch and everything and the height (knee height) I'm thinking it was a stupid stray cat that got into the garage, and started playing with the cloth... then the cat prolly saw its reflection in the paint and went to high-5 itself... at which point it slipped off the slick wax and stuck it's claws and dug into the paint . I'm hoping sometime in the future I can clay bar it out and it's not through the paint

One thing that kinda screws my theory of the scratch up is that there is only 1, and I would think cats would bust out all their claws... unless my multiple layers of wax was able to stop the other claws from getting to the clearcoat/paint...

This is prolly my worst nightmare as far as detailing goes... I hope that cat gets shaved
Old 02-25-2004, 07:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

clay prob wont do it... clay removes things that cling to the surface.
you will need some type of compound. i always start with the least aggressive and then, if it doesnt work, go more aggressive.
i would start with a swirl remover (3m makes a good one). then if that doesnt work, on to a fine cut compound.
several threads on this board discuss how to use these products-
best results are with a random orbital machine.
if you decide to go this route and need help, let us know.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wanabe's right on this one

and have no fear about scratches.. as my dad's car had some doozies, but I managed to rid them all
<http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...promised+wanabe>
Old 02-25-2004, 05:33 PM

Actually... strange thing... I put on the Meguirs Carnuba with my ROM... and um... its gone

but I still hate cats
Old 02-25-2004, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by SuperDyu
Actually... strange thing... I put on the Meguirs Carnuba with my ROM... and um... its gone

but I still hate cats

Word to that, my roommates cat got stuck in the garage somehow and put hair everywhere, as well as scraches on all four fenders. argh