S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

My Worst Enemy

Old 06-15-2009, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Worst Enemy

So here is the deal,
I have an 01 Berlina, My Girlfriend has a 04 Berlina. So guess who has to has to clean and maintain both of them... This guy.

Is there anything I can do about the damn swirl marks? It seems like everything I have tried hides them for a few days and then they come back. What do you guys use. I am honestly scared to use a full on power buffer, cause I don't have any experience with one and don't want to practice on my car. I have read that could hide them for longer but is that my only option?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:48 AM

I recently bought and used a Porter Cable for the first time and I had no previous expierence and achived fantastic results. There are a ton of videos on youtube ect. that you can learn a lot from.

So I'd say go for it, you can only hide swirls so well and for so long.

my .02
Old 06-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

with a black car, and especially with two of them, the random orbital machine (like the porter cable) will soon be your friend!!
its really the only way to remove swirls.
you can keep filling them, but they show up again -

we have lotsa info on how to do this in the how tos at the top of our board. especially watch a coupla the youtubes and do some reading.
we are here to support you- post back questions!!
Old 06-15-2009, 10:50 AM

Porter cable and patience is all you really need for the two berlinas. Phil has some great product to start you off on. Give him a holler.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:29 PM

Right. You need to get yourself a PC or a G110, with appropriate pads and polishes. You have lots of choices.

If you do not want or cannot invest in a dual action polisher, then you can attempt to remove the swirls by hand. Get yourself a bottle of Meguiar's SwirlX and Ultimate Compound, several foam applicators, and some high quality microfiber towels. Wash and clay the vehicle first, then get to work. Begin with SwirlX. Do a test spot and inspect the surface. If it removes the swirls to your satisfaction, then polish out the car. If not, then do a test spot with Ultimate Compound. If it removes the swirls to your satisfaction, then polish out the car. You may find that you will need to follow UC with SwirlX to remove any micro-marring left by the compound. Every car is different.

If UC does not remove the swirls, then start saving up your pennies for the PC or G110.

Hand polishing is long and hard work, so plan on a full day, if not two days, for the task.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:51 PM

What is your wash technique? If you're adding swirls every time you wash you'll be fighting a losing battle.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Alphamale,Jun 15 2009, 05:51 PM
What is your wash technique? If you're adding swirls every time you wash you'll be fighting a losing battle.
DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING!!!

We have a winner!

Josh:

Get with Billy "The Twankster" at the next SUPER, Florida, SE, whatever meet and he will show you how to wash the S's as well as repair the paint, just ask Willie G. I have only a few tiny surface scratches since Billy worked on mine before the Florid Super Meet. Or maybe you and Barry could put together a detail meet since Barry's S is a spider web bonanza.

J
Old 06-16-2009, 08:20 AM

I believe my wash technique is not the problem (always two bucket method). I believe the problem is that both of our cars are tracked and auto crossed regularly and daily driven.

I am deff doing some research on the PC machine. That may just be my only option. I have tried the swirl X before but it seems the marks return after about a week. I am just concerned about what pads and compounds to use. Why are there soo many choices?
Old 06-16-2009, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedworksracing,Jun 16 2009, 08:20 AM
I believe my wash technique is not the problem (always two bucket method). I believe the problem is that both of our cars are tracked and auto crossed regularly and daily driven.

I am deff doing some research on the PC machine. That may just be my only option. I have tried the swirl X before but it seems the marks return after about a week. I am just concerned about what pads and compounds to use. Why are there soo many choices?
Just FYI - the autocrossing is not the problem. My car is a nationally competitive AS autocross car, and is swirl free.

Chipped up in the front and down the sides a little worse than normal? Sure, especially if you're running on sticky tires. But that's different.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:20 AM
Banned

blacks are notorious for swirl marks...that's why after my 3rd blac car, i called it quits....

Quick Reply: My Worst Enemy