S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

my paint looks horrible

Old 05-05-2010, 01:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default my paint looks horrible

hi guys i bought a Berlina black MY07 back in March and it had a few paint problems, to be exact it looks like someone washed it with steel wool. It looks horrible up close. I can show pics if needed but i wanted to know what would do good on my paint and btw i don't have a buffer but i am willing to hand wax. I searched first and came up with mixed opinions so what do YOU suggest. Remember that im not exxagerating when i say horrible, even embarrassing, especially for a freakin '07. Thanks guys.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Removing scratches and swirl marks by hand is a major task. If you don't want to buy an orbital polisher and supplies, perhaps you should pay a local professional to polish the paint. Then educate yourself on how to care for it and the shiney, scratch-free finish can last for years.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

waxing won't get swirls out, especially if they're as bad you say they are. The wax will wear off and the swirls will come again.

I agree with Red, pay a pro to polish it if you don't want to get it done yourself. However, if you're going to a pro, i wouldn't go to any of those "pro-shops". I had a bad experience with one and refuse to every go to one again.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:53 AM

Barrett,

You honestly will probably never get those swirls out by hand if they are as bad as you say they are. I agree 100% with the guys above; either buy a Random Orbital or take the car to a pro and have it buffed out. If you are going to go the "take it to someone" route, I live in Madison, and would be more than happy to detail it for you if you don't mind the drive. It's only about a 30-45 minute drive. I drive back and forth from Madison to Florence all the time because I attend the University of North Alabama. If you are interested in this, send me a PM and I'll send you some prices. If you want to go ahead and buy your own Random Orbital and supplies, here are my suggestions:

1- Meguiars Gold Class car wash
2- Zaino, Meguiars, Mothers clay bar.
3- Porter Cable 7424XP
4- 5.5" Yellow pad, Orange pad, Blue pad, and Black pad
5- Menzerna Intensive Polish
6- Menzerna PO85RD
7- Werkstat Acrylic Jett Trigger
8- Zaino Z3 or P21S for Black paint
9- Microfibers!!!!!!!

You can get all of this at Detailersdomain.com (he's our sponsor).

All of those products should cost you between $350-400. I added up everything that I put down in that list and came out at $385.95 plus shipping.

Hope this helps buddy!
Matt
Old 05-06-2010, 10:59 AM

thats what i thought and i was hoping it would be easier lol, thanks for yalls help and boostedtalon i already called Adams auto body here in town and he does great work and he said he would charge me 90 to buff and wax it but if he doesnt do a good job or cant do it for some reason ill get back in touch with you. Btw here are some pics
Old 05-06-2010, 12:43 PM

thats pretty bad, esp the water spots. If I were you though, I'd invest in a PC and learn how to polish your car yourself. In the long run, you'll save yourself lots of money and actually could be able to make some as well.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:50 PM

i already know how to use one lol, my uncle used to have one and we did my old civic and it looked brand new again. I just don't rly know anyone with one right now and since its so bad i want the pro to get it right the first time so next time it wont be so bad and i might be able to do it myself and not to mention i dont have 400 bucks layin around lol.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Study up on proper washing/drying techniques so that you don't return the car to that state after paying to have it polished.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:01 AM

That's honestly not that bad. If Adams body shop even half of knows what they're doing, they should be able to pull those swirls out with ease. The water spots will probably be a little tougher, but hopefully nothing a little vinegar can't get rid of. I've done S2000s that had swirls on top of their swirls haha. Goodluck with it. $90 just to buff and wax seems a little high, but its not outrageous. Be sure to take some after pictures and post them up!
Old 05-08-2010, 01:43 PM

alright thanks guys, the pics rly dont so it justice either but i guess it could be worse. but in direct sunlight it rly does look bad. I cant believe that after only 3 yrs it could look that bad, my mom has a black Grand Vitara and she literally goes thru the car wash every single week and her paint still looks new

Quick Reply: my paint looks horrible