S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

My new obsession, hand washing in the spray booth

Old 06-20-2004, 01:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After fighting with hot afternoons and rock hard water I finally have found the perfect compromise (for me at least).

I have started hand washing my car in one of the local spray booths. The entire session costs $3.00 which is $1.50 for the car rinse and bucket fill and another $1.50 for the final rinse.

I am never using the high pressure spray, just the mist that comes without pressing the handle. Although I do use the high pressure setting to fill my wash bucket. The end result of all this is that I get to wash my car in a shaded area for a very small amount of money, and just to top it off I can use their no spot rinse setting to gently rinse the car off and avoid water spots

Of course I would like to hear any reasons not to do this but since I'm using my own soap, mitts, and cloths all of the key components are of the quality I insist for my car.

Just thought I would share my new washing addiction
Old 06-20-2004, 03:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

importsport... thats a great idea -
take along your detail products and you have the same situation that those of us who do it at home have!!
welcome to the addiction!
Old 06-20-2004, 03:45 PM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once in a while you'll get a grumpy owner that tells you not to do it anymore.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:41 PM

Only thing I can think of is that some places don't allow any "hand work" in the wash bays. It monopolizes the bays while other paying customers have to wait.

So, you could catch some static from other drivers or the owner/operator of the wash. As long as that doesn't happen, I say go for it!

Matt
Old 06-21-2004, 06:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take along your detail products and you have the same situation that those of us who do it at home have!!
I have been washing my car at home for years but the hard water and direct sunlight has always been a big pain. This does have the drawback of being away from all my detailing supplies but since the bays are only 3 minutes down the road I'm home before the water left in the door handles dries

Only thing I can think of is that some places don't allow any "hand work" in the wash bays. It monopolizes the bays while other paying customers have to wait.
I always pay close attention to anyone near me. I try to wash at non-peak times so I don't hold anyone up. I know that I would be annoyed if one person was hogging a stall that I was waiting in line to hog
Old 06-21-2004, 07:15 PM

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who does this. It saves a ton of time and is handy. I have a car wash a few blocks down that is almost never busy and it has worked out great for me. I even have time to hand dry the car when I'm done washing. Just drive it home for the interior and detail work.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:39 PM

The problem with most residential areas here in Canada is that we get this little fish painted near the sewage drains which means we're not supposed to wash our cars on the driveway. = (

I used to run my 03 celi thru the high pressure car wash but now that I have an S.. I am hesitant to do so.

T
Old 06-22-2004, 01:24 PM

ive heard those self wash places recycle their water bigtime ??
Old 06-24-2004, 05:07 PM

All of them do....www.howstuffworks.com/car-wash.htm
Old 06-24-2004, 08:53 PM

I've been doing that for years and for the same reasons you mentioned.

I've never caught any flack from owners mostly because I avoid doing this at peak times such as during the middle of the day and on weekends.

Quick Reply: My new obsession, hand washing in the spray booth