S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

My First Complete Detail

Old 04-16-2008, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post My First Complete Detail

Well, after more than a year of browsing thru the W&W forums and reading up on the wealth of info that is available here, I finally took the steps to detailing my car myself.

This entire process took me 15 hours to complete. Partly because I was trying to be uber-careful and thorough since it was my first shot at a complete detail job. I must also add that this was my first time using a UDM (or any other polishing tool for that matter). I was nervous at first but the UDM is VERY easy to use. I was able to get all the swirls out of the car.

I started with cleaning of the wheels using the P21S wheel cleaner. After the wheels were done I washed the whole car using a foam gun and the two bucket method for rinsing my lambs wool mitt. Of course, I also used the grit guard (in both buckets ). Foamed the entire car once, then rinsed, then foamed again and used the mitt to take off any remaining dirt. Then wiped the entire car + softtop down with a microfiber towel. Then used the Raggtop cleaner and protectant for the softtop.

Now the fun part begins.

I ran my fingers on a few panels and did see the need to clay. Used the Z-18 claybar from Zaino. Worked perfectly!

Now the challenging part...polishing!

I ordered my polishing kit thru Autogeek. It was the 'Intermediate Swirl Remover Kit' with their intermediate swirl remover # 3 and # 1 polish. According to the videos posted on their website they make you use both polishes back-to-back for intermediate swirls. And that's what I did. This took me the longest since I really wanted to make sure I didn't screw up. In the end, I was pretty satisfied with my results.

3 coats of Zaino Z2-pro followed with a spray of Z6 gloss enhancer between each Z2 application really did the justice to my Rio Yellow.

I plan to add a few more coats of Z2 this weekend and topping it off with the Pinnacle Signature Series II wax. This will complete my first true detail.

For the folks who don't like to read...onto the pics.

This is what my S looked like at 7:00 AM yesterday (4/15):

And yes, I do have bumper plugs on order.

These are pics of the swirls on my hood:

And the final results after 15 exhaustive (but fun) hours of detailing:

Sun shots:

Reflection:

Wanabe, I hope this is badge worthy.

And thanks again to all W&W members. I'm proud to finally be a part of this wonderful (and expensive) hobby we call detailing.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice work!!

PM wanabe for your badge!!

Glad we could help you out, and autogeek is a great place. I just received another order from the 2 days ago.

It's addicting isn't it?
Old 04-16-2008, 01:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow, that is great work...
no way would i ever guess that this was your first try. even your report and post are pro-

you clearly got the wacko disease- and i am trying to find the badge with your name on it... will be up very soon. welcome to the wackos and keep on truckin (posting)!!

cant wait to see your second detail- am guessing it will be another car!

-------

your badge was waiting right at the top of the list... somehow my computer knew what you were up to!!
(badge up!!)

Old 04-16-2008, 01:34 PM

crazys S2K: This is indeed addicting. Especially those detail supplies websites. Just when you think you've ordered enough...you're bound to find something else that entices you to click that "add to bucket" sign.

Wanabe: Thank you sir! I do have a few more interesting details lined up. Next one up will probably be a Black Porsche Boxster S. I'll be sure to post up some pics and details once that's done.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That really came out nice. Well done.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:42 PM

Received 771 Likes on 525 Posts

Looks professional and it is obvious you took the time to do it right. Great work, you should be proud.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

clean rio! great job!
Old 04-16-2008, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by akmaloney,Apr 16 2008, 12:54 PM
Please oh PLEASE tell me you detailed your car in shirt and tie.

If so, that is awesome.

Just kidding man, looks great, better than my first, or second try with a bufer!

Check out our site sponser, gives discounts all the time! And car chemicals are addicting, I probably have over $1,000 worth, and it is all just for my car only. Think about the people like FMINUS and DD who do it as a service.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:53 AM

Haha...I wish I could comfortably detail a car in a shirt and tie! The finished pics were taken the morning after.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:42 AM

amazing! nice job!

Quick Reply: My First Complete Detail