S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

my 1st attempt of rotory polish

Old 03-06-2007, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 1st attempt of rotory polish

Hi everyone. I just purchased a Vector 7" VEC 236 rotory polish at local pepboys. I also picked up a cheap turtle wax foam pad to practice first.

The following pictures was the work I practiced on my spare bumper on my s2k.
I simply did the following steps:

1. mothers car wash - washed the bumper n dry
2. mothers clay bar - clayed down the dirty spots and some minor scratches areas
3. polish with mequiar's polish (#2) - began with 500rpm incrased to 1200 rpm - finished with 800rpm
4. zymol liquid cleaner wax

the result turned out to be the following 2 pictures.

This was my 1st attempt, and I was wondering if the result was turned out okay for those of you have experienced on auto polish. Also, I successfully removed two scratches which I could feel with my nail with the polish

This week, I am going to get a set of edge or lake country pads for the real job- my 06 black s2k. The car has been underground garaged for whole time, light-moderate swirls and some highway rock scratches.

I need some recommendations for the padding too (I am thinking to get a set of green pad, white pad, and finish pad from lake country)

Also, the products i have now are:

Mequiar's Deep crystal system: #1 paint cleaner , #2 polish
Mother's Car wash sampoo
Zymol (blue bottle) liquid wax
3M Gloss enhancer perfect-it spray

I am planning to remove the light scratches with Mequiar's #1 paint cleaner with green-cutting pad (from either lake country or edge)

Mequiar's #2 polish with polish pad (white)

Zymol liquid cleaner wax with finish pad

anything I have missed or anything I have done wrong? Please correct me or any comments are appreciated

Old 03-07-2007, 05:05 AM
Former Moderator

My first suggestion is to get a real polish or two. A medium cut and a lighter/finish cut. Meguiars makes some great products but the Deep Crystal System isn't one of them. The paint cleaner won't remove scratches and the polish is very light and almost worthless. There a tons of good products like the Optimum line, Meg's, Menzerna and Poorboys to name a few. With the rotary I find Optimum a very good and easily workable series of polishes.

I also wouldn't use a cleaner wax after polishing. Cleaner wax is designed for the guys that wax their cars twice a year and need a little cleaning ability. If you want a decent and inexpensive carnuaba go to the nearest Harley dealer and get a can of S100.

Every manufacturer has a different series and color. Here's what i'd get. Traditionally you want a heavy and medium a light and a finish. With my pad maker that's a yellow, an orange, a white and a black.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Ubetit,Mar 7 2007, 06:05 AM
My first suggestion is to get a real polish or two. A medium cut and a lighter/finish cut. Meguiars makes some great products but the Deep Crystal System isn't one of them. The paint cleaner won't remove scratches and the polish is very light and almost worthless. There a tons of good products like the Optimum line, Meg's, Menzerna and Poorboys to name a few. With the rotary I find Optimum a very good and easily workable series of polishes.

I also wouldn't use a cleaner wax after polishing. Cleaner wax is designed for the guys that wax their cars twice a year and need a little cleaning ability. If you want a decent and inexpensive carnuaba go to the nearest Harley dealer and get a can of S100.

Every manufacturer has a different series and color. Here's what i'd get. Traditionally you want a heavy and medium a light and a finish. With my pad maker that's a yellow, an orange, a white and a black.
i was thinking to purchase a set of pinnacle XMT from autogeek.net, but they have two packages: 1) XMT light swirl 2) intermediate swirl with CCS pads. The pkg looks pretty good deal to me for $80. However, I do not know which pkg i should go for and will either of two package look better on the ones you listed on a black s2k ?

I was also looking at the optimum line and the poorboys. The result I am looking for is scratchless and very wet glassy look.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chw6922,Mar 7 2007, 06:32 AM
i was thinking to purchase a set of pinnacle XMT from autogeek.net, but they have two packages: 1) XMT light swirl 2) intermediate swirl with CCS pads. The pkg looks pretty good deal to me for $80. However, I do not know which pkg i should go for and will either of two package look better on the ones you listed on a black s2k ?

I was also looking at the optimum line and the poorboys. The result I am looking for is scratchless and very wet glassy look.
My personal vote for polishes would be either Optimum or Menzerna... they both work GREAT with the rotary...
Old 03-07-2007, 11:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

chw6922-

nice job- especially for the first time!!
great ideas above...

just keep on taking it easy and keeping the pad flat- post up pics of your machine when you get a chance.

the only other thing that i can add is that you need to pm me for your badge!!
Old 03-07-2007, 06:48 PM

wanabe:

the link shows the polisher i got
polisher picture

btw, I want the badge

The following products are the final products i've considered after reading various sites and reviews, plz add more comments if you will

Detail products:
Optimum compound
Optimum polish
ClearKote Red Moose Machine Glaze
ClearKote Carnauba Moose Wax

Padding: i'm thinking betwen edge or lake country

according to my polish, do i need a backing plate before I put the bonnets on ?
Edge pads now have an adaptor which you can simply snap the pads on w/o backing plate . Does anyone have tried ?

Any input is appreciated before I go ahead and place an order over from autogeek or autopia.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chw6922,Mar 7 2007, 10:48 PM
Edge pads now have an adaptor which you can simply snap the pads on w/o backing plate . Does anyone have tried ?
MikeyC did a review awhile back for the Edge 2000 D/A 6" pad set.

I purchased the same kit to use with my PC, but I have not used it as I still need to pick up some polish.

From what I've read, the Edge pads are every bit as good as any other well-like name-brand pads, but they've got some extra features that people like, such as the self-centering quick-connect adapter, and the two-sided pads, etc.

Edge has different pads for different kinds of machines. You might need to check out their website to see what's compatible with your machine. Edge Pads
Old 03-08-2007, 10:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i use both lake country and edge...
both are good-
if i had to pick one, i would give the edge to edge !

i like the snap on snap off and the pads are good quality also. also nice to be able to turn them over-