S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to the rescue

Old 08-20-2005, 05:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to the rescue

First off, I apologize... I didn't take any before pictures, and without those, after pictures would be meaningless. And as always, try this at your own risk!

A few weeks ago we got a new wood fence, and I decided to apply a sealant to it myself. I used a heavy duty airless sprayer and it really did a great job--used Sherwin Williams Deckscapes sealer with colorant. Unfortunately, while I was spraying, somebody opened the garage (I didn't notice) and, being a windy day, some of the spray got on the S2k!!!!!

I didn't know this until my better half tried to wash the car a couple days ago (the car is "hers", ha ha) and she freaked. There are little dots of deck sealer alllllllll over the car, but mainly on the back. Not very noticeable to the eye, but very noticeable to the touch. Felt sticky and bumpy, and the spray was a couple weeks old already.

So, since washing didn't get it off, I tried a couple of things: claybar, and Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. They had the same effect, and Mr. Clean was a slight bit faster... but the Mr. Clean was much, much easier to use. This is because you don't have to keep spraying with detailer--you just saturate the eraser with water, and re-soak when needed. It's also easier to handle. I worked the eraser just like you would a claybar, and ended up with a glass-smooth finish, no scratches or swirls. Re-apply wax, and I was done.

If you're more comfortable using clay bar, you should be fine--but i'm an impatient bastard, and I love the magic eraser. I would highly recommend this. I don't know if this is a completely viable alternative to using a clay bar in all situations, but i'll stick my neck out to say that Mr. Clean is what i'll be using next time.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

will- its good to be a contrarian!!
and with detailing, its not about what someone else does, its about what works for you.
glad to hear that you had such a good experience with the mr. clean product. guess i am gonna have to give it a try!
Old 08-21-2005, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm is it just the magic earaser that you can buy in the stores or is it a special one for cars?
Old 08-21-2005, 05:26 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The Magic Eraser is for home use, not for cars I believe. If it doesn't have chemicals that would harm the car, go for it.. i may go for it too
Old 08-21-2005, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i serched on google alot of car forums have mentioned that they use it so cant hurt to try it. i forgot but it said somewhere "Use it on your ride to get a scratch free shine"
Old 08-21-2005, 08:27 PM

I used the ones for home use... but I also saw some in the car care aisle with fancy auto-targeted packaging. As far as I can tell there is absolutely no difference. They were the exact same price.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

welp, time to go buy some Mr.Clean Magic Eraser this week. Thanks for the extra info. So do you wash, dry, erase, wax? or wash, dry, erase, wash, dry, then wax?
Old 08-22-2005, 06:16 AM

Washing is required after erasing. A few tips: make extra sure the eraser and the paint surface are ABSOLUTELY free of particles like dust, etc. before you start. The eraser is a foam block, and cannot suspend particles like clay can. It's also good to do a small area at a time while rinsing frequently in a water bucket for the same reason. Try it on a small area that's not as visible as, say, your hood. Then you'll know if you're getting it clean enough.

As far as I can tell, the magic eraser is simply a disolvable abraisive. So is clay, though the clay appears to have a finer abraisive than the magic eraser.