S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Mothers CMX Ceramic Spray - Just tried it.

Old 08-03-2020, 02:29 PM

Received 3,763 Likes on 2,654 Posts
Default Mothers CMX Ceramic Spray - Just tried it.

So I have a 30 year old project car that I'm working on. The last part of the build is to get the paint back up to reasonable condition. I've spent so many hours getting the mechanicals worked out, that I haven't got much left in me for detailing the exterior so I have to use products that are quick and easy. .

The paint surface of the car was almost like 1000-grit sandpaper when I started. I cleaned it, clay-barred it, and gave it a light polish with Menzerna micro-polish. I topped it with Menzerna Powerlock, and then I put one coating of Mothers CMX ceramic spray over that. I don't know if you can use it over sealants, but that is my preference.

It seems like a decent product, the surface was a left a bit more slick compared to how it was before the application. I put it on exterior glass and wheels too. I don't want to drive the car in rain but it should clean easier during washing now. The product was super easy to apply and remove. Not likely anywhere near the real ceramic coatings people run, but as a simple top coating I think it is decent. It helped to reduce the roughness of my paint surface a tad, so it must have filled in the microscopic surfaces to some degree. I will test the hydrophobic properties in 24 hours after it cures fully. You can layer the product but I think one layer is good with me. I don't expect it to be anything like real ceramic coatings, this seems to be more like a spray sealant with good hydrophobic properties. I think one bottle will do the car 50 times, it doesn't take much, a little goes a long way.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:30 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I always liked the spray on ceramic products. I know some of it is just marketing hype but they allow for a pretty durable (long lasting water beading) and fast wax application on my daily drivers when I just don't have the time to do a proper job, which is never. I am mostly concerned with paint protection and not necessarily getting the most gloss and shine out of my cars so for me these products are perfect.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:46 PM

^ me too, more paint protection is what I want and making the car easier to clean, it won't give much of an improvement in gloss on a well prepped car.
The following users liked this post:
1993 (08-07-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 12:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not familiar with the Mothers product, but I have used 303 Touchless Sealant on all four of my cars (S2k, Mercedes SLK And C 43, and Toyota R4). I live in the Colorado mountains, and my cars are subject to snow removal chemicals. I find that these ceramic sealant products make it much easier to remove the "muck" that gets on my cars with a simple car wash. Before I treated all my cars with ceramic sealant, washing off the winter "muck" was almost impossible. There was alwys a film or haze that was almost impossible to remove. But now with cars treated with ceramic sealant, it mostly comes off. And any of it that doesn't can be wiped off with something like Turtle Wax "Ice" spray wax or detailing spray.
The following users liked this post:
zeroptzero (11-21-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 01:53 PM

^ great info, yeah I expect dirt and grime is less likely to stick with these products.