S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

More ZAINO questions

Old 03-03-2002, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More ZAINO questions

First of all thanks for the all the info on ZAINO. I am almost sure that I am going to give it a shot. I've looked through the old posts on ZAINO, but I've got a few more questions that I hope people can help me with:

1. Do you ever have to take off old coats of Zaino (if so, when) or can you just keep putting on layer after layer over time?

2. When you get scratches and nicks and have to use touch up paint, do you have to prepare the surface any differently because of the Zaino?

3. Will lots of layers of ZAINO help prevent nicks to the front end from gravel?

4. What if someone tries ZAINO and decides that it is not for them. What do you do, just wax over it, or do you have to remove the old layers and start over??

5. How long have you been using ZAINO and how many coats are currently on your car(s)?

Thanks!

Al
Old 03-03-2002, 08:33 PM

1. nope no need to remove old coats, just reapply z1 twice a year and z5 and z2 the hell out of it for the rest of the time.

2. theres a way to fix rock chips and scratches and such using a method thats mentioned in FAQ's, but me i just add a drop of touch up here and there and just z1, z5, and z2 over that little spot. only takes like 5 secs of my time per day.

3. i doubt zaino will protect from scratches, it "should" protect from fading and paint contamination otherwise i doubt many layers of zaino will stop a good size rock from beating the crap out of your paintjob.

4. if you decide never to use zaino ever again , you need to remove it with rubbing alcohol and immediately start using whatever crap you plan on applying to the car.

5. been zainoing for over a year now and look at my sig for the number of coats

chris
Old 03-03-2002, 10:22 PM

you dont actually need to use Z1 anymore, get the ZFX. Put about 1 oz of Z2 and mix it with 2-3 drops of ZFX and shake it up. It dries so much faster using ZFX compared to Z1. Z2+ZFX then finish it with Z6 is pretty much all you need.
Old 03-04-2002, 03:54 AM

Al,
1. Do you ever have to take off old coats of Zaino (if so, when) or can you just keep putting on layer after layer over time?

You never need to remove "old coats" of Zaino. As you apply more coats, the finish will get deeper and wetter looking.

2. When you get scratches and nicks and have to use touch up paint, do you have to prepare the surface any differently because of the Zaino?

Clean the area with isopropyl alcohol before applying touch up paint. E-mail Sal and he will send you his "touch up how to".

3. Will lots of layers of ZAINO help prevent nicks to the front end from gravel?

No. Only not driving the car or putting a protective product such as StonGard (sp?) on will do that.

4. What if someone tries ZAINO and decides that it is not for them. What do you do, just wax over it, or do you have to remove the old layers and start over??

You can remove it with isopropyl alcohol. Alternatively, the oils in carnuba products will eventually break down Zaino.

When you try Zaino, remember to use VERY SMALL amounts. It will go places on the car you wouldn't dare put a wax, such as rubber moldings around the windows. You can apply it to any smooth surface. Applied to rubber moldings, it gives them gloss and protection. On a S2K, you should easily get 3 coats out of 3/4 of an ounce of polish.
Old 03-04-2002, 06:09 AM

Originally posted by STreece
Al,

It will go places on the car you wouldn't dare put a wax, such as rubber moldings around the windows. You can apply it to any smooth surface. Applied to rubber moldings, it gives them gloss and protection.
Thanks for all the great advise. I really enjoy this forum. This is going to sound pretty corny, but this forum is one of many reasons why I decided to go with the S2K as opposed to waiting for the new Z. Thanks again!

Al