S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

microfibers towels under my new microscope...

Old 10-30-2007, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default microfibers towels under my new microscope...

Ever since I started truly detailing my vechicles I have never been fully satisfied with microfibers towels. I wanted to figure out what the differnce was between the Ace Hardware MF's for $5 bucks and the MF towels that Phil sell on his website. Since I have a research grade microscope I figured I would take a peek at moderate magnification. Here is my setup:
Nikon scope with 16-bit EMCCD

Here are a few pictures of three different MF towels as an example. I will try to post these images sequentially.

10x
Ace hardware MF (yuk)

AutoGeek Cobra MF

Detailers Domain red MF

80x
ACE MF (Yes, I know what this looks like)

Autogeek Cobra

Detailers Domain red MF

40x
ACE MF

AutoGeek Cobra

DD MF

320x

ACE

AutoGeek Cobra

DD MF

All of the above images where taken directly from the the MF towel. The two images below have been taken with a microscopy technique called DIC (differential interference contrast). These two images really show the similarites in fiber size

Autogeek cobra

Detailers Domain

In conclusion I am not sure what I have proved here. It is clear that the AutoGeek MF is more tightly woven BUT, is this better? I can say for certain that I prefer the MF towels from Detailers Domain as they seem to buff off product better than the Cobra series.

For sure one thing that is clear is that there really is a difference between cheap MF towels and higher end MF towels.

Maybe Phil, or Wanabe can have some input here. What makes a MF towel good or bad?

Phil, if your interested in high magnification images I can get those too. I can take images and the physical limit of any optical system with meeting nyquist critia oversampling with my CCD camera.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:07 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I have always wondered the same and from my experience though the higher end towels are usually more thicker and more neat looking, the mf's that I have used from walmart/costco are just as good in removing waxes or polishes. I have also noticed that the cheaper MF's that I do have dont give swirl marks etc. (from what I could tell atleast) after buffing or removing a wax.The cheaper mf's that I have used DEFINITELY cannot absorb as much water as my AG cobra mf towels or last as long. Thanks for the pictures, I appreciate the work that you put into this! Though my preference so far would probably be the MF's from costco since they almost rival the AG cobras in thickness and you get a whole bundle for a cheap price!
Old 10-31-2007, 04:55 AM

Can you show us a picture of what towels you're talking about without magnification? Each vendor you mention sells several different type of towel and some are different weave styles. So, I'd like to know what you're comparing. Also, which of these towels have been previously used? If all three have been used has it been approximately the same amount?
Old 10-31-2007, 06:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting, subscribed!
Old 10-31-2007, 08:19 AM

The difference I think in performance goes beyond the external structure and related more to the blend of plastics in the fibres.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

excellent post!!

this might help a little:
http://www.ecocarcare.net/eco-microfiber-towels.php

and also:
http://www.ultimatemicrofiber.com/about.cfm

from my experience, the cheap mfs can cause swirls more easily than the better ones. when mfs first came out, i remember getting swirls from the threads in the edges and from tags. those towels became useful for wheels and lower parts of the car. i still buy cheap ones for underhood, and lower parts of the car. but any mf that i use on paint has to be a decent knap and a product that i know.

speaking of knap- the early mf washing pads were also swirl magnets - they did not unload dirt very well, and the knap was too short.

might be nice to have a manufacturer weigh in here...
phil- got any contacts for this??
Old 10-31-2007, 08:40 AM

Cool.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:46 AM

That is sweet. You've got a neat toy to play with.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW, were these towels ever used or are they new?
Old 10-31-2007, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by INTJ,Oct 31 2007, 11:19 AM
The difference I think in performance goes beyond the external structure and related more to the blend of plastics in the fibres.
Not only that but what most people don't think about is the edging. The difference between high quality and low quality edging can be the difference between swirls and no swirls.

Quick Reply: microfibers towels under my new microscope...