S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Microfiber for washing, drying, applying and buffing wax/polish ?

Old 08-29-2003, 12:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Microfiber for washing, drying, applying and buffing wax/polish ?

I recently got the S2000 a couple of months ago and had chances to wash the car only 3-4 times so far. I use a cotton mitt to apply the soap solution on the car and the Absorber to dry the car off. I intended to apply wax/polish and buff out wax/polish with cotton applicators and towels but after 3-4 washes with the cotton mitt, I'm seeing many swirl marks on the car. Basically what I'm interested in knowing is what are the best instruments to use for those 4 steps.

1. applying soap solution on the car
2. drying car
3. applying wax/polish
4. buffing out wax/polish

I've been doing some reading and it seems like the microfiber material is the way to go on this. I went to www.pakshak.com and it seems like the new microfiber mitts could be used for #1, the waffle weave absorbent microfiber towels could be used for #2 and the large microfiber towels could be used for #4. Am I on the right track? What do you guys do for #3? Is pakshak the place to order these towels? Which towel size do you guys find more convenient - the 16x16 or the 24x24? How many of the large towels do you guys recommend I should purchase? Obviously I guess I should have enough for one wax/polish job and not have to throw it in the washing machine during. And lastly, can these towels and mitts be put through the washing machine with either liquid or powder detergent? Thanks guys, your resplies will be appreciated. I just need to know what I should order since these things aren't exactly cheap.
Old 08-29-2003, 02:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow- lotsa questions!
i use a high quality mitt for washing (lambswool usually), mfs for just about everything else, except for the pc (machine). on the pc i use several diff attachments, and do use mfs for removal (over a lambswool bonnet).
i use big blue (which is mf) for drying.
i have lotsa small size mfs and the big blue.
i wash my mfs in the same stuff that i use on the car cover- and wash and dry them with just car stuff.
Old 08-29-2003, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The recommendation for washing mf towels is to use liquid detergent only (and for sure, *no* fabric softener in the washer or dryer!). Dry on low heat or air dry.

I use mf for washing and buffing and drying. I just bought some mf applicators, but haven't used them yet.

Tony
Old 08-29-2003, 03:29 PM

Probably not the best way to do things; but I just use a sponge for washing, those super absorbant rags (lamb skin i think?) to dry, applicator pad for applying wax, and a 100% cotton rag for buffing and polishing.

Drying rag is small, just ring it out whenever it gets too damp to pick up water, and keep going. Everythign is pretty much wash cloth/hand towl size.
Old 08-29-2003, 05:10 PM
Former Moderator

I wouldn't let terry cotton towels touch anything but my engine bay. Even if they say 100% cotton. Run that towel over lexan or a piece of plastic and it will scratch the crap out of it.

SiDriver, I use Pakshak towels almost exclusively. I've never seen the MF mitts but I'll be buying a few in the next couple of days if they exist.

I have almost the same routine as wanabe
Currently using a wool covered sponge for washing. Pakshak's MF to dry and remove Zaino by hand unless I use the PC. I use the PC with 4 different cutting pads, lambswool pad and MF bonnets.
Old 08-31-2003, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by mntony
I just bought some mf applicators, but haven't used them yet.

Tony
Where did you get the mf applicators at? Are they reusable or one time use?
Old 08-31-2003, 05:47 AM

I got them at properautocare.com. They have a couple different types - I bought the yellow "dragon's breath" applicators. They are reusable. One reason I wanted to try these is that I can throw them into the wash with my other microfiber towels. I wouldn't do that with the cotton applicator pads.

Sometime in September, I'll be doing a Zaino application to hopefully get me through winter, so I'll know how they work then.

Tony
Old 08-31-2003, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-31-2003, 09:37 AM

Anybody use cloth baby diapers for drying? I heard they don't leave swirls...
Old 08-31-2003, 02:02 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KSs2000
[B]Anybody use cloth baby diapers for drying?

Quick Reply: Microfiber for washing, drying, applying and buffing wax/polish ?