S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Microfiber Quality?

Old 05-07-2003, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will be able to tell the difference immediately if you are using the towel to dry your car after washing it. The higher fiber count will hold more water which means a lot to me. I have one of the "Big Blue" towels from proper auto care and it's great. I just use that one towel to dry all of the water off of the car. You will also be able to tell the difference if you are using the towel with anything that needs to be removed from the finish, like carnauba wax. The higher fiber count towels will hold more residue than the other towels.

Will a higher fiber count towel make the finish look better? I don't think so. Just by picking the towel up, you will be able to feel the difference, since the higher count towel will feel thicker and more plush. Are the higher count towels worth more money? In my book, yes, but I don't think that I would feel justified paying a lot more for them.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

agreed - the higher tpi count is reflected in the feel to your skin and the amount of moisture. the manner of processing is also related to the amount of moisture it can hold . .

there are drying specific towels (i have a sample from my supplier) and buffing, removal, cleaning towels.

they are way better than regular towels (IMHO)
and the big word of caution is this . .

be sure the ones you get are Korean made - the general rule of thumb is they are better than the ones made in China . .

for instance, my towels are not in the 150-200,000 tpi count - but i use them fine for polish removal on black - and great. water absorption is excellent also - i suppose it could be better, but the question always remains, how much better, and compared to what and under what conditions - and is it worth it price wise?
Old 05-07-2003, 08:45 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Homer2
[B]and the big word of caution is this . .

be sure the ones you get are Korean made - the general rule of thumb is they are better than the ones made in China . .
Old 05-08-2003, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone, so at this point in the thread I can assume that the cheaper ones aren't neccessarily worse, but they aren't as good either, meaning that I would be better off buying the slightly more expensive ones, but if in a pinch, the others will give comparible results, although not as easily.
Old 05-08-2003, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by Sbeall
Thanks everyone, so at this point in the thread I can assume that the cheaper ones aren't neccessarily worse, but they aren't as good either, meaning that I would be better off buying the slightly more expensive ones, but if in a pinch, the others will give comparible results, although not as easily.
I think he's got it! I have found that the thinner towels will work, but they don't hold as much water or wax residue, so you're always flipping or wringing them to keep them going. The better grade towels don't have these minor annoyances. I do prefer microfiber towels to cotton, however.
Old 05-18-2003, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

i have packshack towels they rock