S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Meguiar's Wheel Brightener

Old 08-03-2006, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meguiar's Wheel Brightener

Manufacturer's Product Description:
Meguiar
Old 08-03-2006, 09:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

another great mikeyc review!
just an additional warning - and i want to expand on your warning:

be very careful with this product- acid based cleaners can harm wheels. if too strong or left on a clear coated wheel, acid can etch the wheel. and they can easily damage older noncleared wheels.
my preference is for nonacidic wheel cleaners when possible.
as always... this is my opinion.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:00 AM

[QUOTE=wanabe,Aug 4 2006, 12:01 AM] just an additional warning - and i want to expand on your warning:

be very careful with this product- acid based cleaners can harm wheels.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mikey introduced me to this stuff and it's truely amazing!!!

although i was a bit scared by his skull and cross bone stickers all over the bottle
Old 08-04-2006, 05:47 AM
Former Moderator

I've have this stuff and APC, I wouldn't use it as a regular wheel wash. It is potent stuff. Mos times diluted APC is more than enough and even that is more harsh than i'd like for regular use.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:57 PM

From the above information it would appear this would be harmfull to our OEM AP1 wheels ...

Although the face of our wheels is clearcoated and therefore ok per the above ... it is my understanding that the inside of our wheels ... the "barrel" of the wheel ... is aluminum or aluminum alloy and is uncoated.

Would this not be bad for the insides ?
Old 08-06-2006, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by E White,Aug 4 2006, 04:57 PM
From the above information it would appear this would be harmfull to our OEM AP1 wheels ...

Although the face of our wheels is clearcoated and therefore ok per the above ... it is my understanding that the inside of our wheels ... the "barrel" of the wheel ... is aluminum or aluminum alloy and is uncoated.

Would this not be bad for the insides ?
I believe this information may be incorrect. My understanding is that the entire wheel is painted and clear coated.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:23 PM

I would disagree. I purchased a used set of MY01 wheels that were used thru the winters in a region that uses salt generously. The face of the wheel is in good shape because it is clearcoated ... the inside of the wheel (the barrel) is blemmished with mild pitting and discolorization.

I have had some moderate success in cleaning them up with SOS pads and p21s gel. However, they could still use something stronger to "brighten" them ... hence the consideration of the use of Meguar's Wheel Brightener.

However, the comments above about use on uncoated aluminum, which I think the inside of the wheels are, has me having second thoughts about trying this product.

Therefore, I would like someone who has used this on our wheels to comment ... especialy if used on the insides of our OEM AP1 wheels.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by E White,Aug 6 2006, 06:23 PM
I would disagree. I purchased a used set of MY01 wheels that were used thru the winters in a region that uses salt generously. The face of the wheel is in good shape because it is clearcoated ... the inside of the wheel (the barrel) is blemmished with mild pitting and discolorization.

I have had some moderate success in cleaning them up with SOS pads and p21s gel. However, they could still use something stronger to "brighten" them ... hence the consideration of the use of Meguar's Wheel Brightener.

However, the comments above about use on uncoated aluminum, which I think the inside of the wheels are, has me having second thoughts about trying this product.

Therefore, I would like someone who has used this on our wheels to comment ... especialy if used on the insides of our OEM AP1 wheels.
I think you have to remember that first those wheels are five years old almost and second that very few people properly care for the inside of the wheel. If you didn't wash/polish/wax your car and drove it in salty winters it wouldn't look too good either.

I've seen the back sides of a lot of wheels, because I do often take them off to clean the other side. I can honestly say that I have yet to see one wheel that is painted and clear coated on the front, but bare metal on the back side. Plus, I've seen AP1 wheels and they definitely looked painted all around to me.

If you have some sort of documentation that I could read indicating that the back side of AP1 wheels is not painted I would love to read it. Just keep in mind many surfaces are deceiving. For instance our tops looks like they are fabric, but it's vinyl.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:30 AM

I don't know how to link to the original post from "wanabe" in August of 2004 when this subject was discussed ... but here is a link he posted from autopia:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...threadid=42691

Quick Reply: Meguiar's Wheel Brightener