S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Meguiars polishes Q's and new ideas and updates

Old 02-09-2009, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meguiars polishes Q's and new ideas and updates

Hey guys, i know i've asked this a million times already, and people always reccomend the menzerna stuff, but what about meguiars stuff? Im specifically looking at the M83, where does that compare to with respect to the menzerna line? If the M83 is used for the first step, what would be the 2nd step to clean up any hazing etc? M80? Would it then be LSP ready?

Yes, im still trying to decide what products to buy, and i started looking into meguairs as it is considerably cheaper than menz. I realize that ill never know if i got the right stuff until i buy it and try it, but with the amount of money thats needed to go in, id like to try and make the best possible decision from the get go while staying smart with the dough...

if you can't remember what my cars are like what ill be using this on, i actually took the cover off to examine again. I probably over-exaggerated what my paint condition was last time i posted, saying they were light to moderate swirls.

On the S2k, they are pretty light swirls, light enough that i could not for the life of me get anything to show up in any sort of pictures with my DSLR. Any ideas as to if halogen/fluorescent/LED/sunlight(not much of this right now around here) would be the best to show defects on the suzuka? Any way, i couldn't really see anything drastic, not even close to some of the corrections that are on here, so im thinking i may have an easier time this spring (phewf). Thats why i am now htinking of the M83, and starting that with an LC white on a flex DA. If that takes out most of the stuff, could i then go M80 on white or black and then LSP. Also, the one scratch i posted in my other thread (i can get the pic again if needed), i would probably try to tackle that with an orange or yellow pad + 83, as its probably the only scratch on the car that is noticeable. The civic is basically the same paint condish, light swirls only, but nothign serious. Id liek to take care of all this before it gets any worse!

And how about Menzerna 203 power finish? I read on another thread just recently that its a great 1 stepper, and maybe that'll work for me, but the cost of getting M83+M80 is cheaper than the 1 bottle of 203....so take that into consideration for me as well. How versitile is M83? is it going to be strong enough with an orange/yellow pad to get that scratch out? or at least make it much less visible? I'm sure its good enough to handle the rest of my paint defects, but id rather not buy a whole bottle of 105 or something just to take 1 scratch if 83 can handle the job on a flex...

sorry for the exhausting posts again guys, i promise the time is coming soon for me to finally buy this stuff and shut up and just get to it, but like i said, the money is starting to get tighter and i'd just like to make a well informed decision.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would say go with M83 and finish up with M205 if you can get it. Try the M83 with an orange pad first, as the S has "soft" paint. Then do M205 with the white pad.

Try sunlight and/or halogens to show the defects. Also, trying getting some close-ups, and shoot in Macro. This might help in showing the defects.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

slanguage saves the day!
Old 02-09-2009, 03:47 PM

I like the number 80 speed glaze for mild marring and swirl removal with a rotary or Porter cable.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:10 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

sorry for jacking the thread....if i use m105, would m205 be a sufficient follow-up?
Old 02-09-2009, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by blueap2,Feb 9 2009, 08:10 PM
sorry for jacking the thread....if i use m105, would m205 be a sufficient follow-up?
That's like night and day. M105 is possibly the most aggressive Megs and 205 possible the least. If you use those2 you will need something in between, like M82. That would be a 3 stepper for sure.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

will the m82 give an lsp ready finish?
Old 02-09-2009, 04:27 PM
mlc

I have used the M80 with great results.

I used #9 after that and then finished with #7. I could have went striaght to a wax but I just feel like on black those extra steps are worth it.

I know that there are alot of people that use more expensive products and I am sure they work very well. But for the price Meg's products I think it would be more then worth you trying them.

Good luck.

Kevin
Old 02-09-2009, 04:28 PM

M83/M80 combo has been an effective and powerful combination over the past many years. M83 is rarely used as a final polish. It is almost always followed by a less abrasive polish, such as M80 or M09. Slanguage's recommendation of M205 should be seriously considered. Many folks look to M205 as M80s successor.

I recently decided to go with Meguiar's super-abrasive technology instead of its diminishing abrasive technology. So I purchased a bottle of SwirlX and a bottle of M205, intending to use the latter as my go-to polish. SwirlX is actually rated as a bit more aggressive than M83, so I figure that the SwirlX/M205 combo should be an equivalent to the M83/M80 combo.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by blueap2,Feb 9 2009, 08:25 PM
will the m82 give an lsp ready finish?
depends on color and car.

Quick Reply: Meguiars polishes Q's and new ideas and updates