S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Meguiars NXT Techwax 2.0

Old 04-13-2009, 02:26 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Meguiars NXT Techwax 2.0

So I decided to try this stuff out for once and it applied pretty easily, but immediately I was having issues with buffing it out. It was almost as if there was a super hard crust on the outside and a very small layer underneath was still wet, even though it had been given ample time to dry. Once it was buffed, everything seemed to be in order and I drove the car ~800 miles to Atlanta. The third day the wax was on the car, it rained, water beaded. The fourth day when I go to rinse off some small leaves off the paint it seems as if the wax just isn't there anymore! The water sheets instead of beads and debris sticks to the paint like never before.

After this weekends autocross I am ordering something else, but not sure what I want yet. probably just some P21s...
Old 04-13-2009, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive had good luck with lusso oro. also, menzerna FMJ is a really good sealant. as far as OTC stuff, ive had good luck with meguiars gold class, but dont expect you to want to try it. as far as your issue with NXT, i dont have any tips, except maybe it was allowed to cure too long. however, ive never used it so i dont know for sure.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:29 PM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

NXT was okay nothing special.

NXT 2.0 much better. Meg's did say it last much longer and from experience...... Sure as hell does.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:06 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by EOE,Apr 13 2009, 05:29 PM
NXT was okay nothing special.

NXT 2.0 much better. Meg's did say it last much longer and from experience...... Sure as hell does.
Mine was the NXT 2.0, sorry I didn't include that in the original post (thought it was just some marketing lingo)

I didn't expect much but I did expect it to last longer than 4 days!
Old 04-13-2009, 05:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yup- nxt is known for short hang time...
but 4 days is a record!!

agree that just about any other synthetic will now make you happy... especially topped with either lusso oro or p21s
Old 04-13-2009, 07:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

first off u need to use it correctly. nxt2.0 is known to be on the low end of the durability scale, but we'r talking 4monthish. to start, u applied too thick a layer. thats y it wasn't properly set when u went to buff it off. i've used and continue to use this wax as it's extremely easy to buff off (i wax a whole car then come back to buff off, while with collinite its 1-2panels MAX) and adds a decent look. if applied in nice thin layers, you should have no problem with removal and if anything you should be surprised at how easy it removes with a nice microfiber as long as you're not waxing in direct sunlight.
additionally make sure u apply it to a nice clean surface (sealants need to bond to ur paint to get max durability, not to other old LSPs or glazes).

once applied properly, you should be able to achieve much better durability. keep these two additional thoughts in your mind though:
1. there are multiple ways to measure durability. water beading is only one of them and a lack of tight beading does not mean there is no protection from a wax or sealant.
2. on a dirty surface, nothing beads well. wax ur car with super tight beading / highly durable wax like collinite, then get ur car dirty and see if u don't see a high drop in beading ability even if only after a few days. once washed correctly however, you should see beading go back up as the water has no dirty to stick to and is rather forced to lay on ur clear-coat.

if none of this works and u seriously don't see a difference after following this advice, i'll buy the bottle off u
Old 04-13-2009, 08:50 PM

Did you clay bar the car first? don't leave the wax on too long 10-15 minutes will do. nxt is on the low end scale of durability but my car was still beading 2-3months later after the application.

P21s wouldn't last very long either.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:33 AM

I haven't had any problems, it beads for me months later. And my car sits outside all day.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:01 AM

I agree with MuttGrunt's diagnosis and recommendations. It really does sound, Sobe, that you applied NXT too thick. It needs to be applied thin, which is why many NXT users like to apply it with their PCs and a finishing pad. I suppose all waxes and sealants should be applied thin--I keep waiting for someone to declare "Wax X may be applied as thick as you like"--but NXT does need to be applied thin for optimal performance. NXT is usually judged to be a user-friendly product, so you should first re-assess your technique before giving up on it altogether.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:52 AM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

But isn't giving up the easiest thing to do?

lol

Quick Reply: Meguiars NXT Techwax 2.0