S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Megs Mirror Glaze #20 and #21

Old 01-18-2010, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Megs Mirror Glaze #20 and #21

my question is, if i apply by hand, can i still obtain decent results? im applying by hand because i dont have a machine yet. i would be applying after the claying process.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. Absolutely.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:40 PM

akimel you're awesome bro, i swear
Old 01-18-2010, 07:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i am not a megs guy, but in the old days i used to glaze a show jeep that i had... it was a real pia and my hands would hurt like crazy.
coupla things to know- a glaze has fillers. it is not a true swirl remover. they have oils so that they do make the car look great for a week or so. great for car shows, but not great for longer term swirls.
best for swirls is to just get rid of them. a good swirl removal can be done by hand (as i told you offline, i do this with my harley), but i would never do an entire car by hand anymore. its still a job with a machine, but one heck of a lot easier than by hand.
i have polished a couple of cars by hand, many years ago. to do it right, your hands, wrists and arms get so sore that they feel like they are gonna fall off!!
absolutely you can do it, but why? just get someone in your local community to loan you a machine - or offer refreshments and you will get someone to show you how to do it and you will make a new friend too!!
Old 01-18-2010, 07:42 PM

"Mirror Glaze" is simply the name of Meguiar's professional line of products. Neither M20 nor M21 are glazes. M20 is a light cleaner wax. M21 is a synthetic sealant. Both are easy to use.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok- thx akimel...
another example of products misnamed!!

the worst are all of the non-polishes called polish (zaino for example)
Old 01-18-2010, 11:10 PM

I use Megs No 16 mirror glaze paste wax and its tough by hand if you put on too much product and let it dry. Apart from that i love it as its pretty tough and looks good.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by wanabe,Jan 18 2010, 11:06 PM
i am not a megs guy, but in the old days i used to glaze a show jeep that i had... it was a real pia and my hands would hurt like crazy.
coupla things to know- a glaze has fillers. it is not a true swirl remover. they have oils so that they do make the car look great for a week or so. great for car shows, but not great for longer term swirls.
best for swirls is to just get rid of them. a good swirl removal can be done by hand (as i told you offline, i do this with my harley), but i would never do an entire car by hand anymore. its still a job with a machine, but one heck of a lot easier than by hand.
i have polished a couple of cars by hand, many years ago. to do it right, your hands, wrists and arms get so sore that they feel like they are gonna fall off!!
absolutely you can do it, but why? just get someone in your local community to loan you a machine - or offer refreshments and you will get someone to show you how to do it and you will make a new friend too!!
Mike, Mirror Glaze is simply the name of the Meguiar's professional product line. This is the one in the beige bottles and all the products receive a specific number. #20 is the "polymer" sealant and #21 is the "synthetic" sealant. Personally, I'm not familiar enough with the two products to say what the difference is but they both seem to be paint sealants.

When it comes to wax and paint sealant, hand application is what many prefer. Applying by machine will likely get you a thinner coat, but you'll waste a lot of product priming the pad and you won't save any significant amount of time.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Layering 1 sealant over another is kinda redundant, especially when it comes to Meg's. I would say stay with the M21.

Apply by hand in a thin coat. Wait like 10-15 minutes (to let it dry), then buff off.
If you want to apply a second coat, wait 24 hours.

This will NOT eleminate swirls, only mask them.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:17 PM

by mask them what do you mean?

Quick Reply: Megs Mirror Glaze #20 and #21