S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Mean water spots - help?

Old 08-04-2002, 09:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys once again for the advice!
Old 08-05-2002, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can use a buffing machine to see if the water spots will come off. if that doesnt work, then you might want to wet sand the paint with 2000 grit paper. then use a buffer to polish the clear coat and that should do it.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got water spots too now- I drove home last week and the roads were wet and I got crap all over the car from the freeway and semi's, so I decided to quickly rinse it off with the hose. I was tired from work and just put the car in the garage with the water drops on it, thinking it would be safe if I kept it out of the sun. Boy was I mistaken. These water spots are the worst I have seen. I've had it rain on my car before and dry and it never caused such spots- I think its the chlorine added to our tap water.

So I got some 3M rubbing compound, and not even that would take out the spots...ugh. I hope its not too late to try the vinegar. I had applied a coat of wax and thats when I notced the spots weren't waxing out. So I remove the wax and tried a cleaner wax, same thing- spots persisted. So I removed that (I say remove, but I just wiped off the coat- no stripping involved) and applied the rubbing compound and it made some difference- but I still see the spots. Hopefully I haven't sealed them out of reach of the vinegar. I'm thinking perhaps they may be etched and I'll have to strip all the wax, and then use a power buffer with 3M rubbing compound- but I'm not skilled with a buffer and afraid I might make it worse.

I wonder how much a local paint shop would charge to do it all for me :-) Paint is such a pain in the arse to keep pristine, and I can't wax the car in this weather without dripping sweat all over the car. I guess I need an air conditioner in my garage.

Byron
Old 09-02-2002, 02:48 PM

Heh I was about to bring up this thread again. The vinegar did not work! I used some stuff that said 5% acid. The mean water spots are still there, but I'm wondering if its on the zaino. Looks like I'll need to remove the zaino on my rear bumper and reapply it again, how do I do that? Man, the Vegas rain really did it to my car this time.
Old 09-02-2002, 03:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

They say Zaino comes off with rubbing alcohol.
Old 09-03-2002, 07:38 AM

Thats weird . .

I applied 3 coats to a customers car in the late spring . . - he hasnt applied any layers since then - simply washing and gloss spraying . .

his black vette came back to me last weekend for a treatment -

he had terrible water spots (any are terrible on a black car) - and wanted to have me do his car for him again - claying etc . .

so we did it - washed, clayed - rinsed dried - and there were the spots . . still there

I grabbed the 1.99 vinegar bottle out of my box of car goodies , grabbed two royal velvet smal hand towels - and did this:

poured some vinegar onto the towel - wiped an area of the car - it left small amounts on vinegar - then took the other hand towel and wiped the area dry - and BAM - zero water spots on the car - we could not find one . . . he was the happiest car owned i have ever seen . . . granted his spots were all from the summer - but they wiped easy . . . no rubbing . . car was stunning by the end of the day . .
Old 09-03-2002, 12:24 PM

Ok during the weekend I will attempt to try vinegar once again. the entire back area is filled with terrible water spots. I might buy a small botter of vinegar just for this.
Old 09-03-2002, 12:45 PM

I think I would try some 3M swirl remover on the spots. I am sure that would take care of it as it eliminated the swirl I had on my trunk thanks to the damn top cover.
Old 09-03-2002, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HyperDimensions
[B]Ok during the weekend I will attempt to try vinegar once again.
Old 09-04-2002, 07:23 AM

matrix is right - the 3m would most certainly remove them (cant imagine it not happening)

Quick Reply: Mean water spots - help?