S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

make your own quick detailer

Old 06-20-2005, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default make your own quick detailer

bought some meguiars quik detailer in the uk a fgew weeks ago as part of a clay bar kit
now nearly all gone
now the detailer fluid os 95 pct water with a little fluid wax included
the spray bottle is good formany refils
so : get a few liters of distilled water
fill the spray bottle 95 pct with the water
add 5 pct demon shine water soluable wax
give a good shake and your'e off
hope this saves you all some money
Paul
Old 06-20-2005, 07:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thx paul...

and be sure to dust the car before applying the product to minimize swirls-
Old 08-26-2005, 09:28 AM

by the way, anyone else try this?
or anyone making quick detailers with other products?
or adding them to their car wash?
lotsa interesting ideas floating around on this one...
Old 08-26-2005, 10:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry, i leave the creation to the chemists.. i'm too finicky about what i put on my finishes..

good effort though
Old 08-26-2005, 11:01 AM

Would Meguires #26 Yellow Wax in liquid form work for this. And how does the "Quik Wax" sprays differ from the "Quik Detailer" sprays?
Old 08-26-2005, 12:04 PM

Believe it or not I actually tried something similar and it would work as a quick detailer as well. I wanted a spray on wax because I was tired of the wax on method and just wanted to wax off. I mixed the spray wax with RO water and 10% liquid wax at first and found the evaporation rate to be unacceptable. I used 60% isopropyl (sp?) alcohol, 20% water and 20% liquid wax for a decent even spreading spray on wax. The alcohol was just so it dried and hazed faster. For a quick detailer I would just lessen the wax and alcohol content a bit.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by 2005S2K,Aug 26 2005, 12:04 PM
Believe it or not I actually tried something similar and it would work as a quick detailer as well. I wanted a spray on wax because I was tired of the wax on method and just wanted to wax off. I mixed the spray wax with RO water and 10% liquid wax at first and found the evaporation rate to be unacceptable. I used 60% isopropyl (sp?) alcohol, 20% water and 20% liquid wax for a decent even spreading spray on wax. The alcohol was just so it dried and hazed faster. For a quick detailer I would just lessen the wax and alcohol content a bit.
if you actually do create a quick detailer this way i would be interested in how you like it!

kinda surprised that you have that much alcohol in your mix- we sometimes use alcohol to remove wax. so as long as the concentration isnt too high you are prob o.k., but just a caution here.
also alcohol can cause clay to break down, so you also want to be careful if you use your product when claying.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:49 PM

The alcohol will do some weird things like dry out plastic items or take a away a plastics gloss like on a plastic truck bedliner. When diluted with water and the liquid wax, it won't have that drying of plastic.

Remember, this was experimental because I had a ton of liquid canuba wax and it was a suggestion to add the alcohol by one of my co-workers that is the lab manager for the company I work for. He is a chemist and has made a ton of handy household concoctions in the lab at work. The best was his super duty drain cleaner, it was the only one that worked for me a while back.

Regarding the wax mix, alcohol should only be used to controlling the evaporation rate of the mix but it aids in emulsifying the wax in the water to get a good mix. For the quick detailer, I would probably use less wax and less alcohol.

10% wax to the water/alcohol mixture was just slightly not enough for a wax job, 20% was better. For a quick detailer, I would try 5% and add more if necessary.

Here is a picture of my '98 F150, I use my wax mix on it and the paint is still shiney.

Name:  Ford.jpg
Views: 3467
Size:  47.6 KB
Old 08-27-2005, 03:04 PM

I use about a cap of Meguire's Gold Class Liquid Soap in the spray bottle of Quick Detailer. Fill the rest with distilled water. Shake shake shake. The Gold Class bottle says that the soap "cleans aways dirt while not removing wax."

I dunno it works for me. Also take a toothbrush with homemade quik detailer spray it on bird crap (or any other stain) on your soft top, magically dissapears . It also takes off tire shine overspray, bugs, and bird crap on your paint fairly easy.

The Gold Class Soap is about $9 for a gallon. Sure beats $5 a bottle for quik detailer.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use wax as you dry with water as a quick detail 50/50 makes a great qd

Quick Reply: make your own quick detailer