S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

low-effort paint and top maintenance help :)

Old 10-31-2003, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low-effort paint and top maintenance help :)

Hey, so I just got an 04, which I'm loving, and I'm wondering about the basics of keeping the car in good shape.

Basically I like spending my car time driving and I know I'm never going to get myself to spend the time and effort to use several kinds of Zaino products on the car etc (I know, I'm lazy) so I'm wondering if there's anything I should know about no-nos for car washes (washing and waxing -- products they should or shouldn't use?) and maybe a product or two that will keep the soft-top looking nice for years as I'm unfortunately going to have to leave the car outside most days. I know I'm not going to have a show car, but I want it to stay pretty!

Matt
Old 10-31-2003, 10:30 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Lowest maintenance I can think of that actually works:
Get some off the shelf Zymol cleaner/wax and do the painted surfaces a couple times a year. You may get away with once depending on how bad your climate conditions are. Wash the car with a dedicated car wash soap only. This will help to keep the shine longer. Wash the whole car (outside) when you do, including the top and tires and wheels. Since this car runs rich, your exhaust tips will get very sooty. Use some NEVR-DULL. It even comes with it's own wadding that you tear off a piece to clean the tips with and then throw away. Wipe with a clean cloth after. Not much easier than this.
For the top, get some 303 protectant. Spray it onto a clean cloth and wipe it all over the top. Don't gloop it on too thick. Keep the top up till it dries (overnight will do). You can even use the 303 on the plastic interior. Just don't use it on the steering wheel or it'll be real slippery. Treat your leather parts (like the seats) with a leather cleaner/treatment once maybe twice a year, especially the driver's seat.
Oh, and if you ever want to graduate from "lazy", try the Zaino thing.
Old 11-01-2003, 05:18 AM

Cool, thanks. Out of curiosity, is there anything that normal car washes do/use that's just bad for the car? They always have these bottles of undefined fluid and I always worry that something might be damaging in the long-run or something.
Old 11-01-2003, 05:54 AM

"Normal" commercial car washes whether they be the kind you drive through or the kind you use a wand, has two problems. The type of fluid they use is not one of them.
The first is they either use something that touches the car (brushes or other material) and/or high pressure sprays. Neither is any good for our car. The owner's manual specifically says to keep high pressure sprays away from the car as the spray will push paste the window/windshield seals. Besides, touchless car washes don't really do a good job on a dirty car. You really must "touch" the car to clean it but you must do it with the proper wash mitt and car soap to prevent your car from eventually end up looking like a Delorean's finish.
Old 11-01-2003, 07:49 AM

My name doesn't start with "X" but I'm gonna chime in anyhow.

Nothing in life is free, and there's no "easy" solution to REALLY good auto care. I would say you need to decide which is more your style: 1) easy but frequent detailing/waxing or 2) involved initial application but less time spent on subsequent applications.

Zaino is NOT confusing, once you know the basics. You really only NEED Z1 and Z2. Period. Z1 is the inital coat, Z2 is the "wax." End of story. The others (Z5, Z6, etc) are good to use, but serve different purposes. Some will argue that you NEED Z5 if you have a dark car or you NEED Z6 for more shine ,but they're optional.

If you prefer a more traditional wax, P21s Carnauba Wax gets the best reviews for protection and shine.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:40 AM

Yeah, it sounds like I need to just suck it up and do some Z1 and Z2 at least right now.

Is this 303 soft-top stuff pretty much the thing to use? Will that be good enough to keep the top nice even out in the sun a lot? Should I be reapplying it every year or so?

Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:43 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Vrm Vrm
Zymol is NOT confusing, once you know the basics.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:53 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xmatt
Yeah, it sounds like I need to just suck it up and do some Z1 and Z2 at least right now.

Is this 303 soft-top stuff pretty much the thing to use?
Old 11-01-2003, 09:00 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SECRET AP1
Old 11-01-2003, 09:02 AM

You're right, I didn't consider the weather factor. Over here, I don't know if dust is a reproducing micro-organism, but it's just ridiculous. I guess we do need more rain.

Quick Reply: low-effort paint and top maintenance help :)