S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Looking to replace my UDM

Old 02-20-2011, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to replace my UDM

I'm looking to replace my aged UDM. It's one of the first gens that never had the correct counterweight put out for it, and it vibrates like no other. I use it for polishing maybe once a year, but that's all I can handle, I'd like to upgrade to a new polisher with the same, if not more polishing power. I'm mostly looking at the Flex XC 3401 VR but am open to other suggestions.

The reason I'm not looking at a PorterCable is due to the lack of power. I like to try to get my projects done in under a day (wash, clay, wash, polish, final polish, seal, let it dry, wax X 2-3 (depending on time).)

Right now with the UDM it's taking me about 6-8 hours to do 2-3 polishes (Swirl Removing is first step, cleaning surface is second step, and then a final polish for clarity). The vibration KILLS me during these steps so it usually takes another 2-4 hours on top of that so that I can get feeling back into my hands.

Any recommendations? I'd like to stay Random Orbital, but I would be fine with going to a rotary.

I most likely will be replacing all my pads when I do the switch too. My 4 year old LCC pads are falling apart, along with my 2 year old hex-logics. So Pad recommendations are welcome also.

Thanks guys

If it helps the products I use mostly are Menzerna IP, and PO106 FA. I also have Sonus FX-1, 2, and 3. I recently bought some CG's polishs and sealers, but I don't remember the names.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well considering you said you only polish the car once a year or so, I would deff. stay away from a rotary. They take a lot of practice to not damage the paint and finish down for a nice finish.

I would stay with an orbital for sure... But what one... I honestly say the PC 7424XP is still your best bet. It offers much more flexibility then a Flex. Agreed it is not a forced rotation so it is a bit soft in the power department, but the smaller pads help for our small cars and you can get a 3.5" backer plate for even smaller pads if needed. The FLEX only comes with a 6" backer pad (just came out with a 4.5" backer). I have both these units and I use both. The Flex is great for 1st and 2nd pass but I used the PC for smaller and finishing work EVERYTIME...

But in reality you should not need to polish a car for 8hrs evey year, you aren't leaving much clear coat on the car if you doand you are probably not washing it properly to keep the finish up. In reality you should be able to make a pass with the Menzerna 106FA to clean up the car if you need too and that should take under 1.5hrs.

As for pads... DetailerDomains Uber pads are nice, LCC pads are nice, I haven't tried the hex logic...

I would have stuck with the Menzerna compounds, they help finish the car down because they actually break down as you polish. I hear the jet seal from CG doesn't last. But I can tell you that the Mezerna Powerlock does...
Old 02-21-2011, 07:03 AM

My S2000 is my daily drive though, and I when I polish it, I don't use very strong cuts. I think I used my Orange pad on one occasion. I mostly used the green and white pads which worked decently. I like the hex-logics because they are self centering, which I thought would help cut down on vibration with my UDM (I always have my pads centered well, but I didn't know if this would help).

I use 6" pads anyways. I've never used smaller pads, I find no problems at all when using the 6 inch pads. You mention that the flex only comes with a 6" backer, but since it's threaded, can't you just replace the backer with a different size, if you buy different pads? I know that with my UDM, I've switched through 3 different backer pads for the types for pads I've used.

I still think I would keep my UDM, so I'd use that for finishing if I didn't like the way the Flex finished.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well Flex just released a smaller backing plate (popular demand). It is thread on but because it is forced rotation it also has a gear head incorporated into it.

I would probably look for the right counter weight for your set up too.. Also if you thing your current set-up doesn't have enough power stay away from the 6" pads and drop down a size. Size of the pad will make a difference in how the tool works, it won't be as easy to stall because it has less surface area to keep moving.

I wouldn't dream of running a 6" pad on the PC if I intended to correct anything, at slow speeds a 6" on it is fine for applying glaze etc, but not for doing any correction.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by SilverS2kF22C1
Well Flex just released a smaller backing plate (popular demand). It is thread on but because it is forced rotation it also has a gear head incorporated into it.

I would probably look for the right counter weight for your set up too.. Also if you thing your current set-up doesn't have enough power stay away from the 6" pads and drop down a size. Size of the pad will make a difference in how the tool works, it won't be as easy to stall because it has less surface area to keep moving.

I wouldn't dream of running a 6" pad on the PC if I intended to correct anything, at slow speeds a 6" on it is fine for applying glaze etc, but not for doing any correction.
I think the pads I'm running now ar 5.5? I have had nothing but good results with the pads I use, the problem is just vibration from the UDM. They claimed that they were going to release a replacement counterweight for the UDM back when they first came out, cause everyone complained about it, but I don't think anything ever happened. I think they just released the newer version that had the correct counter weight and corrected some other problems.

Since the back of the backing plate has gearing, would it be possible to just use the pads I currently use with that backing plate? If not, I'm completely fine with switching to new pads. The thing I like about the Hex-logics from Chemical guys is they have a ring on the back that is the same size as the backing plate, so it makes aligning the pad quicker (I know it doesn't take that long, but it just takes the guess work out of it).

Where did you see they came out with a new backing plate? The flex comes with a 5.5, and I've never used anything smaller than a 5.5, so I don't see a problem there.

I use the 6" on like 1.5-2 on my UDM when I do corrections, but I tend to do areas bigger than 1x1. I usually do about 2x2 and keep it moving fairly quick.

Sorry all my post are really sporadic in thought. I'm trying to keep it logical, but I can't seem to do it.