S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

A Little Help, Please.

Old 08-26-2006, 09:40 AM
RUW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Little Help, Please.

I've got my PC, foam pads and Klasse AIO & sealant, I washed my wifes car ('05 Subaru Outback) and went to work with the polisher and Klasse this morning. Her car is my test vehicle before doing the work on my S2000.
The AIO went okay, then I started with the sealant, it went on alright, but when I went to wipe it off with a MF towel, I couldn't get all the material off easily. It would always leaves some residue in places that would take an extreme amount of rubbing to get off. I read somewhere that if the wax isn't coming off easily, you're putting too much on, I didn't think I was using too much to begin with (a small line around the pad), and used less as I went on.
Here's my technique, I used the finishing pad, slightly damp and a thin line of Klasse around the pad. I would do half the hood, a door or quarter panel at a time, first spreading the wax without the PC on, then turning it on and going in straight lines in one direction, then again perpindicular to the first motion. When it appeared the wax was on evenly, and beginning to dry, I would stop, wait a minute then begin wiping off the dried wax.
Most the wax came off, but again, a cloudy residue would be evident in places and would take a concerted effort to remove. What gives? I got the PC so I wouldn't have to work this hard and to get a more even application of material.
Any help from you experts out there will be greatly appreciated, I don't want to do my S until I've got this figured out.
Thanks,
RUW
Old 08-26-2006, 09:56 AM

It's just too much product. I would really suggest that SG (and AIO for that matter) be applied/removed by hand.

Spray a cloth (lightly) with QD spray and buff off the excess SG. Then do the rest of the car by hand. It also would help to let the SG sit a little longer before removing.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:08 PM
RUW

So using the PC with Klasse sealant puts too much wax on the car? And should be applied by hand? Again, I got the PC so I wouldn't have to do this by hand--darn it!
Now I need to reapply AIO by hand in order to remove the sealant? What is QD?
Thanks for you input.
What's the best product to use with the PC? I don't really want to do this four times a year if I don't have to, that's why the Klasse appealed to me.
Thanks for your input.
RUW
Old 08-26-2006, 02:47 PM

QD=quick detail spray. Water will probably work fine too. This will help remove the SG. Don't start over with the AIO.

The PC is used more for polishing and finish repair than waxing. Many waxes and sealants can be applied by PC, but the Klasse products are actually easier to use by hand.

AIO should be wipe on wipe off. Apply a nickel sized deposit on a damp microfiber applicator for a panel on the s2k. Do a panel at a time.

SG requires even less (size of a dime/panel). Do the entire car, then wipe off.

If you don't apply too much of either product it will be the easiest job you've ever completed. Once you get the hang of the quantity, you'll be able to AIO/SG your S in 20 minutes without breaking a sweat.

Break out the PC once or twice a year with a light polish (Menzerma FP, Meg's #9 etc..) then hit it with the Klasse.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:55 PM
RUW

Ah, so the article saying one can apply Klasse with a PC was bunk. Thanks, I appreciate the heads up and will give the Klasse a try.
My S2000 was detailed and waxed at the dealer when I picked it up nearly two months ago. There are slight holograms on the hood and, of course, the typical slight swirl scratches. Will hand applied Klasse take care of those, or should I use one of the products you mentioned?
Thanks, live and learn,
RUW
Old 08-26-2006, 06:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nope not bunk... it is just a bit more advanced to use the machine to apply product.
you might want to apply by hand and remove with the machine to learn machine techniques-

i often apply with the machine- because i can get a constant amount over the entire car... but it does take a little practice.
also be sure to apply only as the wind goes over the car. i also remove this way.

when you use the machine for polishing, you will be going side to side but will always finish as the air flows over the car.

klasse will not likely remove your holograms or heavier swirls- only a swirl remover will do that (and you will want to use the pc for swirl removal).
Old 08-27-2006, 09:22 AM

Yeah, not really bunk, just I've not found it worth the effort to go PC w/ Klasse. Results are the same and by hand is so easy.

Use the Menzerma or Megs with the PC to remove the swirls. AIO/SG for protection.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:08 AM

My first time with PC and AIO I used too much product as well and had issues. After I started to use 3 small 1 inch lines of AIO on the pad to apply... things went much smoother. Also, remember AIO is a polish as well (although a very weak chemical one) so you can work it into the paint if you want to. The SG is very finiky on application, and I've found humidity has a huge impact on application/removal. Also, don't use water/QD to remove the hazing... it'll just come back looking worse. Just use a little bit more of the SG and wipe on wipe off.

I'd agree with halestorm0 on SG application... do it by hand, but for AIO, I've found the PC is excellent once you get the hang of it. You can even use a stronger pad with AIO to remove swirls (pad doing most of the work since AIO is a weak chemical polish).

I've been doing green edge2k pad (light cut) with AIO when I don't want to go through the whole polish regiment, and blue edge2k pad (polish) with AIO to finish when I had already polished out all the swirls using regular swirl removers.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:33 PM
RUW

Thanks for the information.
My son has a 2006 WRX in blue, he applied the AIO by machine, then the SG by hand, with very impressive results. However, even though he used a very small amount of SG on each panel, he still had a difficult time removing it after it dried. It became easier as he went along, by going over a panel twice to insure a thin, even coat.
Should he have waited until the entire car was done before removing the SG? Though I told him to do that, he insisted on applying, then removing, a panel at a time. I live in a dry climate, Utah, where the humidity is typically around 20% (or less!), would that make a difference?
Thanks again for your input.
RUW
Old 08-31-2006, 09:08 AM

You're still putting on too much... "whisper thin" is what they say. If you can very clearly see it being applied you're definately putting too much. The application/removal difficulty of SG is why some people tend to use the AIO and leave the SG out. Also, there was a guy on autopia that highly recommended applying SG with the wipe on wipe off method. Maybe that'll save you some headache.

Quick Reply: A Little Help, Please.