S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Liquid Glass?

Old 08-06-2004, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Liquid Glass?

I've done a search, but I've found very little mention of Liquid Glass brand finish that's commonly found at the auto parts chain stores. Has anyone used it, or know of any evaluations of the stuff? At first glance it seems to fit the bill for me. It's readily available, it can be layered, it should be fairly durable, and work well on Silverstone.
I know that Zaino has a very good reputation, but ordering stuff onliine is often a big pain for me. Any thoughts?

Dean
Old 08-06-2004, 07:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for anyone who doesnt know the product line:

http://www.liquidglass.com/product.htm

it is similar to zaino or klasse...

a couple threads on it:
http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.p...ht=liquid+glass

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.p...ht=liquid+glass

i have not tried it, but have seen cars that do- owners are generally pleased.

if you try it out, be sure to post up your review and pics!
Old 08-06-2004, 08:33 AM

liquidglass.com Duh, who would have thunk it, certainly not me.
Thanks for the links!
In one of those posts on Autopia it says that LG contains solvents and isn't "layer-able". However, the LG instructions say that it is layer-able and requires that the LG pre cleaner be used first, which I'm assuming is what contains the cleaning solvents that the polish doesn't have in it. What's the skinny, can LG be put down in multiple layers, or not?

Dean
Old 08-06-2004, 09:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dean,Aug 6 2004, 08:33 AM
liquidglass.com Duh, who would have thunk it, certainly not me.
Thanks for the links!
In one of those posts on Autopia it says that LG contains solvents and isn't "layer-able". However, the LG instructions say that it is layer-able and requires that the LG pre cleaner be used first, which I'm assuming is what contains the cleaning solvents that the polish doesn't have in it. What's the skinny, can LG be put down in multiple layers, or not?

Dean
dean-
i am not sure either cause i havent used it, but i think that the person in the post was not sure of their comment... or meant you cant put down the cleaning products over the protection products (which makes sense cause the cleaners would remove the protection).
if the product says it can be layered, i would layer it.
heck, i would prob try it anyway!!!
(sal zaino told me not to layer zaino about 5 years ago when his products were new, but i did it anyway and loved the result!)
just be sure to put down on your car any of the product line that contains cleaners or polishes early on in the process (dont put them on top of anything that you want to keep on the car).
Old 08-07-2004, 07:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used it for a while, but I do not believe the layer claims, and did some research with a scanning electro-microscope that seriously challenged many of their claims. The product uses the same basic chemistry as all modern waxes - some variation of polysiloxane. This is the "liquid glass", which is a stretch because glass is made from silicon, and silicones are distant relatives. i think LG is outdated and has become way ocerpriced. I stopped using it a long time ago.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Road Rage,Aug 7 2004, 10:17 PM
I used it for a while, but I do not believe the layer claims, and did some research with a scanning electro-microscope that seriously challenged many of their claims. The product uses the same basic chemistry as all modern waxes - some variation of polysiloxane. This is the "liquid glass", which is a stretch because glass is made from silicon, and silicones are distant relatives. i think LG is outdated and has become way ocerpriced. I stopped using it a long time ago.
Leave it to someone with a scanning electron microscope to come along and piss on my parade.
Too bad it's not as durable as LG claims, the shine I got from it is comparable to the NXT, and I thought that it was easier to apply than NXT as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations on which Zaino stuff I should order, and a link for ordering? (The search engine doesn't seem to be working for me today.)

Dean
Old 08-10-2004, 11:30 AM

Dean here you go....

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

MY00 is also Silverstone and I spent last weekend with Zaino's, the whole nine yards after prepping the car as suggested. I used Z-18 clay, washed then applied two coats of Z-5 with ZFX using Z-6 between each coat, then straight Z-5, Z-6 then Z-2 topped off with with final wipe of Z-6...... LOOKS GREAT .... the "WOW WET LOOK" showed up after the second coat of Z-5, ZFX and Z-6. Everything after that just got better looking. A lot of time, not work as this is not a polish. So, the better you prep you car, the better it will turn out. It's literally wipe on and buff. They say to apply this very thinly. I used about 1/2 oz. of Z-5 with ZFX for each coat. I mixed up one oz. = two coats. How long it will last?? Time will tell. If you order Zaino's, get extra Z-6. This is the detailing spray and a little goes a long way, but I use a little every time I wash and in-between.

Good Luck!!
Old 08-10-2004, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used Liquid Glass and find that it works great, lasts for a long time and is easy to apply. If anyone here has any experimental results on Liquid Glass I wish they would post their findings. In my personal experience, LG lasts longer than Zaino as well as traditional waxes. My evaluative criteria are pretty basic, if I get a nice water bead and if the coated paint surface feels smooth/waxy to my fingertip I figure there is still a protective coat.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:33 AM

[QUOTE=TubeDriver,Aug 10 2004, 03:17 PM] I have used Liquid Glass and find that it works great, lasts for a long time and is easy to apply.