S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Is Lexol still the recommended leather seat cleaner/conditioner?

Old 03-27-2021, 03:18 PM

Received 137 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Is Lexol still the recommended leather seat cleaner/conditioner?

So I’ve been searching a lot of the threads on this forum. Many from a decade or so ago highly recommend Lexol over and over. I look at the recent reviews on Amazon and there are several recent 1 star reviews where the product is “not what it used to be”, comes out splotchy, leaves residue etc. I want like new oem look with good uv protection and that “leather” smell. When I bought it the Toyota dealer detailed the car and the interior had an unpleasant smell that I believe is whatever they used on the seats. Took a while for it to subside. Any thoughts on the best, simple option that checks most if not all of these boxes? I wouldn’t post this if my searches gave me a definitive answer but I’m more confused than when I started. Never had leather seats before this car and now I have the S and a 2019 Pilot that I need to clean and protect. Thanks!
Old 03-27-2021, 04:15 PM

Received 3,763 Likes on 2,654 Posts

Lexol and most leather products do not have UV protection. I like Pinnacle Leather conditioner and protectant, it has UV protection. Automotive seats are mostly coated leather, you are best to protect them from UV protection as conditioners don't soak into the seats that much due to the coating material. One of the over the counter leather products has good UV protection, I believe it is Meguiars, easy to find at most auto shops. Pinnacle can be found from some of the bigger auto detailing on-line sellers.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:25 PM

Received 4,234 Likes on 3,297 Posts

I've always used Lexol for my S2K seats. I do them before storage and when I take the car out of storage in the spring and once or twice during the driving season. Other than some wear on the driver's seat bolster my seats still look great and I like the smell that the Lexol products leave.
The following users liked this post:
Quahogboy (03-27-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 06:05 PM

Received 137 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Lexol and most leather products do not have UV protection. I like Pinnacle Leather conditioner and protectant, it has UV protection. Automotive seats are mostly coated leather, you are best to protect them from UV protection as conditioners don't soak into the seats that much due to the coating material. One of the over the counter leather products has good UV protection, I believe it is Meguiars, easy to find at most auto shops. Pinnacle can be found from some of the bigger auto detailing on-line sellers.
Actually one of the things I liked about Lexol is that is does give uv protection. LEXOL Vinylex Protectant is powered by dual silicon action to clean and protect your car’s vinyl, rubber and plastic. Use it regularly to protect against UV damage, cracks and fading; it will leave your vinyl, rubber and plastic with a beautiful healthy sheen.

I’ve seen posts warning about silicates and don’t know if Lexol has them. I’d like to go with something with a lot of backing in the community that works well for these seats so I think Lexol and Pinnacle (another I've seen in the threads) are good options. I was hoping to get that leather smell to come out again but not sure it’s possible and I don’t want some overpowering smell if that’s what Lexol offers.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:49 PM

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

I like this https://www.walmart.com/ip/VOODOO-BL...VENAT/17481283

Works well with the S2000 seat and dash
Quahogboy (03-28-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 09:06 PM

Received 4,234 Likes on 3,297 Posts

I wouldn't say Lexol has an overpowering smell it is more that it brings out the scent of the materials in the car. I had another car with a better quality leather in it and the Lexol brought out the smell of that leather it wasn't the same smell as I got in the S.
Quahogboy (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 03:41 AM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

I use Lexol cleaner and protectant,and top it with 303 for UV protection.
The following 2 users liked this post by Emil St-Hilaire:
Quahogboy (03-28-2021), zeroptzero (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 04:08 AM

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

I have used Lexol for years on the S2000, probably from day one, so over 20 years now. I have not noticed anything that would suggest the formula has changed over the years. I'm not that concerned about UV protection, as the car doesn't come out of the the garage and left sitting in the sun often. Interior still smells great also!
Quahogboy (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 02:30 PM

Received 3,763 Likes on 2,654 Posts

Originally Posted by Quahogboy
Actually one of the things I liked about Lexol is that is does give uv protection. LEXOL Vinylex Protectant is powered by dual silicon action to clean and protect your car’s vinyl, rubber and plastic. Use it regularly to protect against UV damage, cracks and fading; it will leave your vinyl, rubber and plastic with a beautiful healthy sheen.

I’ve seen posts warning about silicates and don’t know if Lexol has them. I’d like to go with something with a lot of backing in the community that works well for these seats so I think Lexol and Pinnacle (another I've seen in the threads) are good options. I was hoping to get that leather smell to come out again but not sure it’s possible and I don’t want some overpowering smell if that’s what Lexol offers.
I wasn't aware of Lexol making a Vinylex product, but yeah that would be good and with UV protection that sounds pretty decent. Lexol's leather treatment product does not have UV protection. The other option is to use Lexol leather product and top it with a protectant for UV protection like 303 Aero.

I hope silicates are long gone from most leather products by now, that was a very old school approach that Armourall Started. Most of the good leather products are using natural ingredients and water based, not petroleum based. Products like Vinylex and 303 Aero work fine on the seats as they are partly coated with materials that are vinyl based.

Old 03-28-2021, 03:01 PM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I like Leatherique for deep cleans and then Colourlock for maint. The entire Leatherique process is a pain, but the seats come out great once finally restored. Colourlock's foam is much better than sprays for leather, I've found. Swisswax isn't bad, either, though. I haven't used Lexol in a very long time, so no clue if the formula has changed, but it's not as good as the aforementioned products in my experience.

Quick Reply: Is Lexol still the recommended leather seat cleaner/conditioner?