S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

lexol?

Old 04-28-2007, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up lexol?

ater reading a ton of stuff here on the site i went with lexol to do a cleaning and conditioning of my leather. after the treatment the seats weren't as slippery as i usually like them (nice and "leathery). they weren't sticky, but seemed like velour seats almost.

also, this evening in the dark with the dome light on i could see some streaks. wierd.

i applied the stuff as directed (wiped on cleaner with a microfiber sponge, wiped down with clean damp rag after a few minutes, then a dry rag {it was about 75degrees F today}, then did the conditioner on a fresh microfiber sponge, and wiped down again with a clean rag) is there something i missed? the seats were basically clean before i started, i just want to keep the leatehr nice and crack free.

any help or advice?
thanks.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:25 AM

I have noted some streaking too when I have applied the conditioner, but it hasn't lasted. It seems to me that Lexol helps with leather softness. However, I alternate Lexol with what I think is the best leather conditioner ever...Zaino's Leather in a Bottle (Z10). It doesn't even have to be wiped off. Z10 has a really nice smell and is great on the leather.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

and, imo, even better than zaino is townsends- btw, i like lexol too...

doesnt take a lot of product for the cleaning portion, and after applying the conditioner, i assume that you buffed it out? (from your report it sounds like you did, but just checking).

wondering if maybe you havent conditioned them in awhile? if not, try it again next time you detail the car and see if it absorbs any better. sounds like you prob did everything right- (did you shake the bottles?)

lexol doesnt usually make the seats really slippery- just restores the leather and protects it. clean / conditioned leather just looks and feels like new leather- not sticky and not really slippery.

-------------
hey, btw- dont think we have ever had anyone post pics of the detailed interior to request a badge, and i think that would be a great way to earn a badge... if you are interested, post up some pics and pm me for your badge!
Old 04-29-2007, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like Lexol too, it doesn't leave a cheap looking shine or slippery feeling.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:27 PM

yes. i wiped it down as instructed. as for "buffed it out" probably not. I take "buff" to mean "scrub the hell out of it until you arm is tired" vs. wipe down.

as for the feel after the lexol treatment, i usually can slip in and out of the car easily. after the lexol, it felt like i was trying to slide across velour, not leather.

should i reapply the lexol cleaner and conditioner? also the seats had **cringe** "armour all leather wipes" applied to it a little while ago which may be part of the issue?
thanks for the replies
Old 04-29-2007, 02:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jsebastiant,Apr 29 2007, 02:27 PM
yes. i wiped it down as instructed. as for "buffed it out" probably not. I take "buff" to mean "scrub the hell out of it until you arm is tired" vs. wipe down.

as for the feel after the lexol treatment, i usually can slip in and out of the car easily. after the lexol, it felt like i was trying to slide across velour, not leather.

should i reapply the lexol cleaner and conditioner? also the seats had **cringe** "armour all leather wipes" applied to it a little while ago which may be part of the issue?
thanks for the replies
buff means wipe down well... not scrub the hell out of it- but a bit more than just wiping off too.

o.k.- now we get the missing part of the story!!
yup- the armour all is an issue.

your seats are prob o.k. for now, but next time you detail, do the scrubbing part with the cleaner (front to back with moderate pressure- put plenty of product on your applicator rather than on the leather)... the cleaner is the key to get off the armour all and may take a few tries to get it all off.
always follow the cleaning with the protectant.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:52 PM

When you apply the cleaner make sure the sponge is pretty damp with water so it activates the cleaner. After applying the conditioner let it sit for 10 minutes then whip it clean.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:05 PM

ah...a damp sponge. i was using a dry sponge, then a damp rag to clean off excess. i imagine this will have a big effect on the cleaning aspect. i'll give the whole thing another try next weekend. and also take a little more time to buff the seats, so i get the end result a little closer to my liking.

as for the armour all...my wife bought it and was all excited. so i kind of MUST let her do it at least once....don't want to be a meany. ok, i'll admit i don't wear the pants around here.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:36 PM

[QUOTE=xdavieexx,Apr 29 2007, 05:52 PM]When you apply the cleaner make sure the sponge is pretty damp with water so it activates the cleaner.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by jimi,May 1 2007, 02:36 PM
I don't think you should let the conditioner stay on for that long. Use a wet foam applicator work up a nice lather with the cleaner one section @ a time. Wipe off with a damp towel 2x.(rinse) and buff dry. Then apply conditioner on a dry applicator in small sections and buff,buff,buff Also, A good set of brushes are essential. And remember not all surfaces on the seats are leather and Lexol will streak the vinyl it wont hurt it it's plastic so it won't absorb and you will have to buff your arm off to make it shine. Post some pics!
I actually applied the conditioner multiple times, and each application i left it on the leather for around 10 -15 minutes with my doors closed and the heater turned on. I know our leather doesn't soak up the conditioner quickly or as much as some leathers thats why i left it on for a while. I will take some pics of my seats next time i clean them.

Quick Reply: lexol?