S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

let's talk about detailing websites

Old 10-15-2006, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default let's talk about detailing websites

Chances are if you frequent this forum you like to learn about and discuss detailing. I know I sure do!

In my continual quest to improve my detailing, I read as many posts as I can not only in this forum but on other websites dedicated to detailing. I'll tell you the amount of politics, BS, and general ridiculousness on these detailing forums is totally amazing. So, if you like reading about detailing here's my low down on the sites I am registered on . . .

DetailersClub.com
This is absolutely 100% without a doubt the WORST detailing forum on the web. I almost never post there. 1/2 the members have been banned from all the other detailing forums and have no place left to go. In general all these guys do is kiss Sal Zaino's a$$ and casually dismiss that you can get good results with other product lines. They also spend a lot of time discussing "conspiracy theories" like this detailing brand ABC is made by company XYZ and if you buy the company XYZ's products it's the same stuff. Who cares?!?!? Talk about detailing not BS. The members of that forum are so bitter it's pathetic.

DetailCity.org
Once upon a time I frequented this site quite a bit. They have great sponsors like Poorboy's, Edge Pads, and Autogeek which are very active with the forum. There were always lots of contests, give aways, sales, etc. However, they recently made a rules change preventing the picture posting where the poster is not the owner of the car. Since this rules change chatter has significantly dropped off on the site and most of the threads are OT.

AutogeekOnline.com
This is a pretty decent website. It's infested with newbs so a lot of the discussion is pretty rudimentary and discussion of non-Autogeek products is kept mostly on the DL. However, there are always posts about great sales or contests that Autogeek is having.

Autopia.org
Probably the largest detailing forum on the web. A lot of good discussions go on with less BS than some sites. Most of the BS comes from people doctoring photos to make their work look better. There are also a lot of sheep on this site in that there are few people on the board which are highly respected and a lot of people just follow them blindly. Overall though one of the better forums filled with lots of great info and "how to" articles.

MeguiarsOnLine.com
Again infested with newbs and non-sponsor product discussion is on the DL, but overall some good information on the site.

ShowCarGarage.com
This place has been pretty much a ghost town since Mike Philips resigned. It's too bad as he was the website's greatest asset. Soon, they'll be releasing the last DVD Mike made (how to use a rotary buffer) and after that I doubt I'll be on there much.

PoorboysWorld.net
This place has always been a TOTAL ghost town. I almost never log on there because no one ever posts anything. A great resource though if you have a question about Poorboy's products as Steve (Poorboy's owner) is always on there.

S2KI.com (wash & wax forum)
Absolutely hands down my favorite place to read detailing threads (no BS and no a$$ kissing intended). There are many knowledgeable detailers who post here and lots of great info to be read. Generally speaking the posters are 100% unbiased and give honest opinions. I have read the detailing forum on other owner's clubs websites and this one is easily 100x's better than the next best one.

If you read or post to any other detailing websites or have differing opinions I would love to hear them!
Old 10-15-2006, 05:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice review mikeyc!!
and i would absolutely agree with you on just about everything- especially your last one.

the only one that i check on that you dont have is
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/forum...aysprune=&f=147
(bmw's w&w site)
Old 10-16-2006, 01:51 PM

Hmmm . . . I have been frequenting bimmerforums.com and bimmerfest.com a little bit lately because I'm thinking of buying a 335i coupe. I haven't really read much in their detailing forums. Good to know that BimmerForums.com has a good one.

What I find funny is that a lot of people post on more than one of these forums with the same screen name. Their all nice and polite when they're posting on Autopia or Detail City and then you see them on Detailer's Club and they're being a complete jerk. No one has been rude to me personally, but I just find these "dual personalities" interesting.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yup, i think that each site has a "personality"- has to do with the members...
not sure why some boards are more polite societies than others-
i am glad and proud to be a member of one of the most polite and most interesting of them all !

bmws are fun cars- mrs. wanabe has one (convert)- they are very different from ours. heavier, their brakes dust a lot more, and they just dont have the "track car" feel of ours (which lotsa people dont want anyway). what i like least is the lack of engine braking... but maybe cause its her car is an automatic. i use her tiptronic, but it still usually needs brakes to stop.
and, of course, there's that vtec thing it doesnt have!!
Old 10-16-2006, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by wanabe,Oct 16 2006, 06:31 PM
and, of course, there's that vtec thing it doesnt have!!
they have their own version of VTEC don't they? What is it . . . VANOS? I'm sure it's not quite the same. I haven't test driven the car yet I'm just toying around with the idea at this point. It does look MIGHTY fine in black and 0-60 in 4.8 seconds is nothing to sneeze at. Plus, it has all the creature comforts I miss having in my S2K. Of course, it also has a roomier interior and a back seat which is nice.

One of the things I've really hated about my S2K is that I haven't been able to share it with my nephew. He's 3 years old and still rides in a car seat. So, he can't sit in the S unless I want to pull the air bag fuse and frankly I don't know what the heck that's going to do to my airbag. He does love to sit in the driver's seat and pretend to drive it though. He REALLY loves riding in my dad's 650i with the top down. I wish he could have enjoyed my S as much as he enjoys that car. So, if I get a 335i he'll have a spot where he can sit and enjoy.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:18 PM

I only bother with S2KI and Autopia. As for advice and help, I most always post here first. But when I want to look at detailed cars (doctored or not) I check out the C&B at Autopia. Good looking out though Mikey!
Old 10-17-2006, 07:32 AM
Former Moderator

Me too. I only really bother with here and Autopia. Autopia doesn't seem to be as active as it once did. There was alot of "product of the month" over there for a while.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Ubetit,Oct 17 2006, 11:32 AM
Me too. I only really bother with here and Autopia. Autopia doesn't seem to be as active as it once did. There was alot of "product of the month" over there for a while.

Autopia has been much better of late. There does seem to be quite a bit of hype developing for CG 5050 but aside from that it's pretty quiet. A lot of the guys from Detail City have gone back to Autopia because of the rule change I mentioned.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sticky sticky sticky

never mind, it's already up there.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:18 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Consumer Reports rated the Wash and Wax forum the best section of S2ki of 2006. 2003-2006 the crown went to the electronics section

My second home on s2ki.