S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Let the insanity begin...

Old 02-20-2004, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I've decided this weekend I have 2 projects...
1. a Poli Sci take home exam

but more importantly 2. Using my entire weekend (I have fridays off) to wax my car up to at least 15 coats of waxes.

So woke up at 7 this morning and began the process by washing my car with dawn. I'm letting it sit and dry right now for a bit, and then I will proceed to clay bar the entire car.

Now I have this Mothers Carnuba Wax Cleaner, and I have no idea what the heck it does (so anyone with info on that would be appreciated), supposedly it cleans the car of antioxidents or something . Hopefully someone can toss me a suggestion within a couple hours...

Anyrate after that I plan to hit the car with 2 layers of Z5, that will prolly be all for today. then the next day go with a Z2-Detailing spray-Meguirs Carnuba layering over and over and over and over and over....

I'm thinking about 14 layers total from Z5 to the last carnuba, then finish off with 2 layers of carnuba.

It's gonna be a long ass weekend .

For those who know how much of a regular i'm on this forum please chime in if you can think of anything that I might be forgetting (and the advice on the carnuba wax cleaner and where I should put that in). I'll definately have pics of the ordeal

EDIT: Here is the link to the cleaner wax, but it's not a paste but a sample bottle that comes with Mothers Clay bar...
http://www.perfectcar.net/prod_details.asp...&cat=262&show=0
Old 02-20-2004, 10:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my main comment is that i would NOT use the mothers before the zaino cause zaino needs to bind to the car...
you might know that i love to sandwich- but a cleaner wax would not be my choice to sandwich with- but most importantly, if you use it, dont put it on before the zaino.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:51 AM
Former Moderator

Just a couple of suggestions.

1. You can't layer carnuba like you can a polymer. One coat will do it, two just guarantees you probably didn't miss a spot.

2. Putting a polymer over a carnuba is a waste of product and money. It won't stick and will be sluffed off as the wax melts and evaporates (sitting in the sun) or gets washed away by a car wash or rain.

3. If you want to use carnuba and Zaino, use the Carnuba as the very last step in your process. A topper if you will.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:35 AM

Skipping out on the wax cleaner. Just finished washing clay and re-washing the car.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:12 PM

Seems that I made a little change of plan... It seems that drying the car took FOREVER! With no sunlight to help me there was very little evaporation.

Anyrate eventually the car got dried, and I decided I should put at least 1 coat of Z5 on just so the car doesnt get dirty until i wait for the next day. To my surprise despite my water woes, the Z5 was perfectly dried when I checked on it an hour later. So I proceeded to buff the Z5 out, thats when I started to notice the imperfections on my car... it sure made me sad to see swirl marks, micro scratches, and 1 rock chip.

So then this started getting me thinking... I believe Z5 works by filling in micro scratches to help lessen the reflectiveness of the scratch (which is why dark colors as red and black show micro scratches like mad, because they reflect less overall light) so I started thinking even further, if I don't fill in the scratch all the way in 1 layer, I could drop down multiple layers and fill it in even further and thus helping mask them even more... So I was about to continue with 1 more layer (2 for today, but tommorow there will be no clay bar or washing process so I'll be able to do several more) but I wondered whether I should drop down a detailing spray in between...

I decided the answer would be no because I don't want anything getting in between the Z5 and the micro scratches. So I dumped down a 2nd layer of Z5 and the scratches were dramatically less, the only way I could see them now was if I angled myself directly towards the light bulb in my garage.

There are still a lot left unfortunately, but I think 3-4 more layers of Z5 should do the trick...

So the layering it seems I'll be going with will be

Z5-Z5-Z5-Z5-Z5-Z5-Detail spray-Z2-Detail Spray-Carnuba.
Old 02-21-2004, 04:36 AM
Former Moderator

Originally posted by SuperDyu

So the layering it seems I'll be going with will be

Z5-Z5-Z5-Z5-Z5-Z5-Detail spray-Z2-Detail Spray-Carnuba.

Sounds like a plan. The Zaino Z5 and Z2 lasts a long time. The carnuba adds some depth and a wet look.

If you wash your car frequently you could throw a quick coat of carnuba on it twice a month. S100 is very easy to apply and remove. Try Meg's Final Detail between cleanings, it's awesome.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

super- i agree with ubetit (you prob know that s100 is the same stuff that i use- p21s, just marketed to the cycle riders)...
until you get through winter and eventually become tired of covering the swirls and scratches- they will start coming back as z5 wears off (this seems to happen quicker with black cars, cause we see everything!).
then it will be time for a swirl removal. but your process will easily take you into the warm summer!