S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Lend me your ears and two cents please...

Old 04-06-2010, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lend me your ears and two cents please...

Ok, Im detailing an 03 Berlina S2000. Paint is in ok shape, swirls are coming out with PC, white pad + Menz 106FF no problem. However, here's my problem...

...sap.

...and a lot of it. Well, I should clarify, it's no longer there, but the evidence is. The sap etched the ENTIRE car, and get this: a rotary + wool pad + Menz SIP wont touch it. Wetsanding has shown good results, but I REALLY do not want to wetsand the entire car. Any tips? Something Im missing? This is one of the worst problems Ive run into to date and Ive been doing this for a LONG time.

This car is going to lead me to lookin like:

Thanks,
Matt
Old 04-06-2010, 11:35 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

unfortunately I think you have answered your own inquiry. If wet sanding works I would stay with it, assuming the results are excellent. Post some pictures if you can of the damage, it might help others with a similar problem.

I hope the owner appreciates the work involved in this paint resurrection.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:08 PM

Me too. He's getting a heck of a bargain on it, too. Wet sanding the entire car = a TON of work.

-Matt
Old 04-06-2010, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by mattfeet,Apr 6 2010, 01:08 PM
Me too. He's getting a heck of a bargain on it, too. Wet sanding the entire car = a TON of work.

-Matt
Then explain you can't correct the sap out. You can't walk in to a Ferrari dealership and expect to buy a Ferrari with zero down, and a 0% interest rate with no previous relationship.

You can't expect a full on paint restoration (basically) for a bargain of a price.

Don't be afraid to crack down and say "It's just simply too much work for the budget I'm working with"
Old 04-06-2010, 12:13 PM

Here's the thing. This is a buddy of mine, and Im already giving him a HUGE break on the price.

I know he can't afford to pay a lot more, so this double sucks. However, at the same time I dont want to let the car "beat me" at my own game.

-Matt
Old 04-06-2010, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by mattfeet,Apr 6 2010, 01:13 PM
Here's the thing. This is a buddy of mine, and Im already giving him a HUGE break on the price.

I know he can't afford to pay a lot more, so this double sucks. However, at the same time I dont want to let the car "beat me" at my own game.

-Matt
It's not beating you.. you are realizing the constraints.

If you want to do it out of good nature, and for a personal battle, than why the hell not! But if that was the only case, you wouldn't be here asking what to do... you know what to do.

I'm just saying at some point it's about diminishing returns, and about what's best for you AND the client, given this current circumstances.

This is why 98% of the time I don't work on friends/family. I feel guilty for charging so much, but the other side of the sword is my work shows the heavy discount I've given them. It's not because I'm mean, or don't like helping people--I've given away NUMEROUS amounts of details... but at the end of the day it's MY name on that work. If someone says "Yeah, xyz just did my car!!" and it looks like crap.. that's on you, not the client.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:48 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Matt-
It's hard to put a price on friendship, maybe your friend could pay you out over time or trade some goods or services in exchange for the work.

I hate doing anything half-@ssed and I understand your wanting to do right by the car and the owner. At this point, having started the process, I would finish the job! Chalk it up to experience and be creative in letting your friend re-pay you if you choose too.

~Steven
Old 04-06-2010, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point,Apr 6 2010, 03:48 PM
Matt-
It's hard to put a price on friendship, maybe your friend could pay you out over time or trade some goods or services in exchange for the work.

I hate doing anything half-@ssed and I understand your wanting to do right by the car and the owner. At this point, having started the process, I would finish the job! Chalk it up to experience and be creative in letting your friend re-pay you if you choose too.

~Steven
Im half-way through a full correction, wet-sanding included. We'll work something out, and my buddy is going to be shocked out how good his car turned out.

Ill think of it as 'paying it forward'.

-Matt
Old 04-07-2010, 06:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can do it matfeet! don't let the car beat you, you gotta finish what you started man!
Old 04-08-2010, 06:50 PM

I finished it today after about 22 hours of exterior correction. We worked out a bit higher price, but still about 1/2 of what Id normally charge for work of this caliber. The end result was STUNNING. I dont mean to toot my own horn, but wow. Simply amazing.

Seeing my buddies jaw hit the ground was well worth giving him a good deal on the work.

-Matt

Quick Reply: Lend me your ears and two cents please...