S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Leather Treatment Advice

Old 07-29-2006, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather Treatment Advice

Right now I use Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Wipes. A bit too shiney and greasy for my taste.

From the board, it seems like it's Townsend and Lexol dominate because of the correct pH.

I'm looking for:

1. Easy Application (possibly cleaner/conditioner in one)
2. Available in stores (no shipping)
3. Cost efficient (less than $20)

Is zaino leather cleaner/conditioner worth the money?

Old 07-29-2006, 08:37 PM

I used to use the megs wipes, but like you said they are greasy, plus they just dont seem to leave any oils in the leather.
I really like the separate cleaners. I use the lexol and it is very easy to use and it doesn't leave any residue. Simply wipe on in a thin layer, let it sit while you do the other side of the car, then go back to the original side and buff off with a microfiber towel and do the other side and you are done. It comes off and leaves the leather feeling soft and smooth, no oily spots. I have seen lexol for about 7 bucks a container for the cleaner, then the conditioner, so about 14 bucks. You may want to try orchard supply or miners hardware if you have any of those locally.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if it has to be in stores, i think lexol is your only choice for good quality leather cleaner/conditioner...
townsends is my first choice, but its only from their site as far as i know
Old 07-30-2006, 07:33 AM

If you're limiting it to OTC products then Lexol is a good choice. I've also been using the Zymol leather products lately and they're very good as well. You can pick them up in Target and they cost maybe $1-$2 more per bottle than the Lexol, but IMO the Lexol smells awful and the Zymol seems to soak into the leather faster.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:15 AM

i use meguires, but i have the bottle of treatment. it seems to work out pretty good for me but it might be doing what you dont want and i dont even realize it.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:59 AM

Are the lexol wipes sufficient or is the spray application much better for working into the leather? The wipes are more convenient.

Sorry, got my zymol/zaino names mixed up. It was zymol on the Target shelves. Just wanted to get some feedback. Will the Zymol conditioner get stuck in the perforation holes? I don't want ad another step to blow it out.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:28 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another vote for Lexol. However, Ive been using Meguires (Not the wipes, it looks like wax) lately, and the results have been rather good.

Old 07-30-2006, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Jul 30 2006, 07:28 PM
Another vote for Lexol. However, Ive been using Meguires (Not the wipes, it looks like wax) lately, and the results have been rather good.

I use this product as well. Final result's not bad. The only problem I've found with it is that it tends to leave residue in the perforated leather if it's not used sparingly. Can easily be cleared out with a toothpick (takes ages though )
Old 07-30-2006, 11:11 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been using armor all leather wipes. I've been pleased with the outcome. Drys rather fast and does the job.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by juice04,Jul 30 2006, 12:59 PM
Are the lexol wipes sufficient or is the spray application much better for working into the leather? The wipes are more convenient.

Sorry, got my zymol/zaino names mixed up. It was zymol on the Target shelves. Just wanted to get some feedback. Will the Zymol conditioner get stuck in the perforation holes? I don't want ad another step to blow it out.
I've very rarely ever had a problem with any leather conditioner getting stuck in the perferations. Just put the conditioner on an applicator and use that to spread it on thinly then buff it off with a clean microfiber. In my experience, if I 'm getting conditioner stuck in the perferations it's because I'm using too much.

Quick Reply: Leather Treatment Advice