S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Leather Question

Old 03-22-2007, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather Question

Alright so I usually use Lexol product for the leather, but obviously it is a more involved and 2 step process. So The F21 says you can us it on vinyl, leather, etc. so anyone use it for that and know if it is ok? I've used it a bit because it is easier and it leaves it shiney, not too slick and smells clean. My leather never gets dirty... shit I clean the car evry 3 days. Just wondering if I will see some ill effects from using the stuff. Also, what about the top? is it safe or should I stick to 303 and Vinylx? Thanks...

Oh yeah, I've noticed that VinylX runs alover the windows when it rains or gets wet but I never had problems when using 303 anyone else experience this?

-Matt
Old 03-23-2007, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would stick with a dedicated leather cleaner/conditioner rather than an all-in-one product. I'm not a fan of Turtle Wax products, so I think you should stick with Lexol at the very least. Personally, I use Townsend's leather cleaner/conditioner and it's worked great for me

Regarding the top, I wouldn't use anything besides Vinylex, 303, or Raggtop. They are specifically formulated to protect vinyl from harmful UV rays. I've been very happy with Vinylex for the past couple years (it's cheap too!).

Also, the reason why you are getting Vinylex all over your windows when it rains is because you are either applying too much product, not buffing it off after applying it, or both. Next time, try spraying a small amount onto your applicator and then apply it to your top. Wait about 15 minutes or so after applying, and use a dry microfiber towel to buff off any excess product. You shouldn't have any problems with it after that. Hope this helps
Old 03-23-2007, 03:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

your vinylex is running on the windows cause you didnt fully remove it...
gotta really buff it- i put it on thick, rub it and let it sit. then after doing the rest of the car buff it off with a clean rag. then buff it again with another clean rag... looks new, the product is worked in and does not run...

agree with diabolus2k- on above and also on the separate products.

just reread his post and i am 100% in agreement with everything he said!!

(wackos unite!!)
Old 03-24-2007, 10:18 AM

For maintaining your leather, I'd suggest sticking with the 303 Aerospace Protectant. This is what I use as my maintenance product and have had great results from it on my vehicles as far as UV protection with a matte finish.

I maintain my leather the the Leatherique Prestine Clean and Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil. It's a long, tedious process to apply the Leatherique, but when done correctly, I've yet to find a better product for leather.

Hope this helps.

Bobbo
Old 03-24-2007, 12:14 PM

hmmm... 303 on leather would not be my first choice- but i do agree with the separate leather cleaner and conditioner idea. townsends is my first choice for leather products.

let me track down our leather expert for his input...
Old 03-25-2007, 06:25 AM

You don't need to "oil" your seats like you would an old baseball glove, a standard conditioner will be just fine. As it turns out, the finish on the leather keeps 80% of the oil out and what does penetrate can actually cause the finish to release from the surface if you apply it too heavy or do this repeatedly over time. You should be able to properly do your seats in less than half an hour, nothing tetious or tiring, if it is, you are using the wrong products.

As for UV protection on auto leather, you simply do not need it. There is another type of leather known as aniline leather which is just dyed, auto leather is dyed and then has a protective coating on the surface. This coating is not a dye and is not half as prone to fading.

To put it lightly, I agree with Wanabe.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by 2002S2K' date='Mar 25 2007, 06:25 AM
You don't need to "oil" your seats like you would an old baseball glove, a standard conditioner will be just fine. As it turns out, the finish on the leather keeps 80% of the oil out and what does penetrate can actually cause the finish to release from the surface if you apply it too heavy or do this repeatedly over time. You should be able to properly do your seats in less than half an hour, nothing tetious or tiring, if it is, you are using the wrong products.

As for UV protection on auto leather, you simply do not need it. There is another type of leather known as aniline leather which is just dyed, auto leather is dyed and then has a protective coating on the surface. This coating is not a dye and is not half as prone to fading.

To put it lightly, I agree with Wanabe.
our expert has spoken-
thx 2002s2k !
Old 03-25-2007, 08:43 AM

Great info 2002S2K
Old 03-25-2007, 10:25 AM

No problemo, glad to be of service.