S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Leather care- how clean, treat and/or repair

Old 09-14-2003, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Superbabe
Hey everybody!

I have a lil problem. Some chocolate got into the leather on the passenger seat (the part with the lil holes in it) and I tryed wiping it and vacuuming it out but nothing worked. Can someone tell me how the hell I can get that stuff outta there again Cause I can't stand seeing my baby like that...
Try heating it with a hairdryer, then wiping, that should definitely melt the chocolate enough for you to get it out. Another option would be to heat it with the dryer, then have compressed air to blow it through, yes it would be on the inside, but it is such a minute amount I am pretty sure it won't hurt.

If that doesn't work, I am probably 2 hours from you...

Sean
Old 09-14-2003, 09:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was using Meguiars Gold Class leather conditioner.
It was satisfactory in most respects BUT it leaves white residue in all of the perforations and this is impossible to clean out.
As a result my 18 month and 38000km old car has only had two treatments.
It still looks good though, probably because it is garaged with the hood up when not in use.

Any advice on:
a) Getting the white stuff out
b) A good conditioner - available here in Australia - and method of application which will not create more white holes.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by DaveFromSydney
I was using Meguiars Gold Class leather conditioner.
It was satisfactory in most respects BUT it leaves white residue in all of the perforations and this is impossible to clean out.
As a result my 18 month and 38000km old car has only had two treatments.
It still looks good though, probably because it is garaged with the hood up when not in use.

Any advice on:
a) Getting the white stuff out
b) A good conditioner - available here in Australia - and method of application which will not create more white holes.
Well I am not exactly sure what else is available product wise down under, but this may help with your current problem...

When I am done conditioning my seats, there will be little white dots of it in the holes, so I used compressed air to blow it right through. Being that the Meguiar's product has been there a while this may not work, since it may already have hardened.

I believe that what the white is, is a remaining amoutn of wax, therefore you may be able to heat it with a hairdryer or low heat heatgun to melt it and then blwo it through, just as I had said before about the chocolate in the holes.

If neither of these work, let me know and we can inspect further.

PS- I use a higher pressure air hose to blow it through, you may need a compressor and an air hose to get this to work, although you may be able to use the computer keyboard cleaner type compressed air in a can since it has such an exact little plastic hose that you could use on each hole. If you had the compressor, you can do it in about 2 minutes, the air can will obviously take longer.

Sean
Old 09-15-2003, 08:42 AM

Q: I've got several "spots" on the upper areas of my seats. I am almost certain they are drips of water/hair spray. How do I get them off?
Old 09-15-2003, 12:00 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Relson
[B]Q: I've got several "spots" on the upper areas of my seats.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thankyou Sean. I will try it when I get the time. But when cleaning seats in future do other products leave white residue in the holes? Do I have do this compressed air thing each time? It could get tedious since there must be a thousand holes.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:26 PM

Old 09-15-2003, 02:26 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 2002S2K
[B]

If it was water, it would dry and be gone.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:53 PM

Sean, I have a question for you. I know leather is a natural material, and as such will have imperfections and inconsistencies. However, I found this "imperfection" yesterday while detailing my car. Note that my car barely has 1k miles and I just bought it last month...

What do you think this is? Know any way to take care of it? To me it looks like a problem with the dye process, but it is very noticable when you run your finger over it, so it could be the leather itself. I have been very careful with my car...so I have no clue what it could be. Please help!

thanks,

tesseract
Old 09-16-2003, 07:13 AM

Received 5,749 Likes on 3,386 Posts

My upholster has confirmed the door panels, like the seats, are a combination of leather and vinyl. The upper perforted piece is leather and the lower solid piece on the arm rest is vinyl.

Quick Reply: Leather care- how clean, treat and/or repair