S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Leather care- how clean, treat and/or repair

Old 11-26-2012, 11:49 AM

Received 3,767 Likes on 2,658 Posts

Originally Posted by 2009 s2k
What exactly causes the cracking on that particular side on all s2ks? Is it just the rubbing of body/clothes as the driver slips into the seat every drive, or does the driver just sitting in the seat contribute to the creasing on the left side drivers seat? Is there any sort of cover that exists to just protect that 1 bolster? I feel like this issue is impossible to prevent.
Well I recently bought a set of low mileage ap1 seats and they had zero defects on them. The creases in the leather start as soon as you use them as the leather compresses with your body sitting in the seats. Some of the creases seem to correspond with the natural wrinkles of the leather skin, showing through the vinyl like coating that is applied on top of the leather (finish). Some of the finish wears off as your clothing rubs against it entering and exiting the vehicle, things like belts, buttons, cel phone holders etc cause the large scraping damage to the seat bolsters. If you are careful getting in and out of the vehicle and you don't wear hard objects on your clothing or body the scraping can be prevented. My car is a bit of a garage queen that I only tend to drive on weekends. I make a habit to mostly wear track pants when I drive the car, but I realize that is not possible for people that drive their S2000's daily.

When the vinyl finish that is applied on top of the leather hide dries out and cracks then it begins to peel off. It gets exaccerbated by exposure to sunlight. That's why I think it is important to treat the vinyl like finish that is on top of the leather so it doesn't dry out, and with a barrier that reduces UV damage. The perforated portions of the seats allow leather conditioner to enter into the leather seats through the tiny holes and sewn seams, but the side bolsters don't allow for much absorbtion into the leather under the topcoat finish. I don't mind using Lexol or other conditioners on the perforated surfaces but I prefer to also use Einzett or other products to help with the heavily finished side bolters to moisturize and protect the finish.

BTW I have no proof of any of this as it is just my personal opinion based on what I see of my seats and how Einzett designs their leather care product.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What can I do to bring the seats to the deep black color like how they came? Like some type of color restoration kit.