S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Leather care- how clean, treat and/or repair

Old 08-15-2005, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by petraidm,Aug 15 2005, 04:27 AM
Ok here is the issue:

My Suzuka blue seats have a dyed finished leather (coating on the surface). Unfortunately, I tend to be lazy getting into the car and typically slide down the side of the seat. Regardless... the net result is I wore the coating and some of the blue dye off in a spot (black underneath) My question is how to repair? (where can I get matching dye ... what to coat with and where to get ... procedure... etc)
You could buy the color from The Leather Institute, you would need a small amount of the color and then some dull top coat. This isn't quite as easy as it looks, but if you feel comfortable you might be able to give it a shot.

I would personally recommend getting someone in your area to do it for you...should actually cost about the same as getting all the products you would need to do it yourself.

let me know and I can find someone nearby.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:16 AM

Great ... I appreciate that. Just send me a PM with some recommendations for someone near the 70433 Zip code.

Other than entering the car in a more appropriate manner, is there any way to treat/care for vulnerable sections to prevent this or reduce the chance of this happening again?
Old 08-19-2005, 03:55 PM

You are the second person to be in that area in need of service this past week...I am looking, but don't know of anyone reputable just yet, give me another week or so and I should be able to find something.

Sean
Old 08-23-2005, 12:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a small cigarette burn in the leather on the passenger side seat. It came from someone who flicked there cigarette out the window while I was driving down the turnpike. Is there a easy way to patch this myself? If there is, where do I go to get what I need, and what exactly am I looking for? The burn is on the bottom of the seat near the back where the top half of the seat meets the bottom half of the seat. I have the all black interior. Any information would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for such an awesome thread.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:41 PM

You may be able to fix the cigarette burn on your own, most of it depends on the severity. If it is pretty bad, then you may need to take it to a pro to be fixed.

You may be able to get some repair compound and fill the burn area, after that you can apply the black rub-in color and color the area. If you were to do this it would come out ok, whereas if a pro did it, the whole thing should disappear.

You are actually only about an hour from me, if you feel like making the trip over to the coast in NJ I would be glad to help you out. Probably would take about a half hour to fix and then you could have the rest of the day to enjoy the beach or whatever...

Let me know what path you would like to try and I will give you more in depth info.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 08-24-2005, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by 2002S2K,Aug 19 2005, 11:55 PM
You are the second person to be in that area in need of service this past week...I am looking, but don't know of anyone reputable just yet, give me another week or so and I should be able to find something.

Sean
Thanks ... I'll be waiting
Old 08-25-2005, 07:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2002S2K,Aug 23 2005, 08:41 PM
You may be able to fix the cigarette burn on your own, most of it depends on the severity. If it is pretty bad, then you may need to take it to a pro to be fixed.

You may be able to get some repair compound and fill the burn area, after that you can apply the black rub-in color and color the area. If you were to do this it would come out ok, whereas if a pro did it, the whole thing should disappear.

You are actually only about an hour from me, if you feel like making the trip over to the coast in NJ I would be glad to help you out. Probably would take about a half hour to fix and then you could have the rest of the day to enjoy the beach or whatever...

Let me know what path you would like to try and I will give you more in depth info.

Thanks,
Sean
If possible, I would like to do it myself. I would like to make the trip, but I just don't have the time. I work 7 days a week, and haven't had a day off in over a month. So doing it myself would be easier right now. The burn hole is only about the size of the tip of my pinky finger. It only goes though the leather, and I don't think it went all the way through. I would like to know how to do it and where to buy what I need. Any info in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:26 AM

In order to do the repair you would need some black colored stucco and a 6oz. of the black rub-in compound from us. In addition you would need to have some of your own tools such as a hair dryer to speed along the process as well as a spatula to smooth out the repair compound. It should come out pretty well, give me a call at 800-242-9578 and we can put it all together. The black stucco is not offered online yet so you would have to do it over the phone.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 08-29-2005, 05:37 PM

Hey 2002S2k

Ive noticed that my red seats have a shiny finish where a mate of mines s2k's red is a matt/satin finish which looks 100% better.. do you know how i can achieve this look?
Also the pervious owner went crazy with the dash and interior shine, what can i use to bring it back to matt/satin finish...

Thanks
Matt
Old 08-29-2005, 06:40 PM

Well, you should first take a good leather cleaner to the seats to get whatever he may have put on them off. This may reduce the shine depending on what residue was left from him. Do the same with the dash and other panels that are too shiny. Then follow with a product like our conditioner/protector, it will also help to regulate the sheen.

If the seats are still too shiny, you could have them top coated to adjust the sheen down to a more matte finish. If you had them refinished with only the top coat, it would be a very straight forward/quick.

Quick Reply: Leather care- how clean, treat and/or repair