S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Leather care- how clean, treat and/or repair

Old 06-07-2005, 06:52 PM
EZZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, very nice to have a leather expert to help with ?'s. I'd like to change the the color of the seat inserts and the door panel. I'm thinking yellow to match the spa yellow on the outside. Can this be done by having the leather professionally redyed or will I need to have new leather installed instead?
Old 06-09-2005, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by EZZ,Jun 7 2005, 09:52 PM
wow, very nice to have a leather expert to help with ?'s. I'd like to change the the color of the seat inserts and the door panel. I'm thinking yellow to match the spa yellow on the outside. Can this be done by having the leather professionally redyed or will I need to have new leather installed instead?
You could refinish the pieces to match, but it is more difficult to go from black to yellow, than yellow to black. On that note, make sure whoever you go to is a very reputable place, it is a pretty big undertaking and needs to be dealt with extreme care.

Cost is going to be the BIG difference here, probably like under $500 to do the color change, whereas the leather replacement would be about double that. Personally if you have the money, I say replace the leather, if not the refinishing would be fine, but make sure the person you go to has some skills.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:28 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Tired sending you a PM, but your box is full.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:54 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Sean, could you take a look at this thread? It pertains to mold/mildew and leather.

Thanks. If I had known this would ever happen, I could've asked you this at Fall Colors last year.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:18 PM

Hey sorry my membership ran out...have to reup this week to get to use my pm's again. I will check the thread on mold/mildew as well...
Old 07-06-2005, 01:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

can you PM an email address if it makes it easier?
Old 07-06-2005, 05:36 PM

My pm's are working again...
Old 07-21-2005, 08:53 PM

Sean,
I want to keep my brand new S2000 is perfect condition, so the info about leather care has been very useful. My question is...

what do you think about seat covers?

I was thinking of quality, custom fitted, cotton/canvas seat covers. this would keep out dirt and road grime. but would it protect the bolsters from the "sandpaper effect" of sliding in and out?

I'm in Florida, so I'm likely to be sweating on my black seats in the sun too.

Any other pros / cons?

Thanks
Old 07-25-2005, 05:58 AM

Brazz,

Here's the thing...you got the leather because of its superior look and feel, by putting a seat cover on it you are taking that away. That being said you may personally like the seat cover material better, then it doesn't matter.

If properly taken care of (cleaned and conditioned regularly) you won't have any problems with this, although I wouldn't recommend leaving the top down for extended period of time when the car is just sitting parked when the sun is blaring.

One precaution with seat covers is that the backs can be rough and scuff up the leather or dirt can get under them and scuff the leather, so you would still need to clean and condition them on a semi-regular basis with the covers on.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:27 AM

Ok here is the issue:

My Suzuka blue seats have a dyed finished leather (coating on the surface). Unfortunately, I tend to be lazy getting into the car and typically slide down the side of the seat. Regardless... the net result is I wore the coating and some of the blue dye off in a spot (black underneath) My question is how to repair? (where can I get matching dye ... what to coat with and where to get ... procedure... etc)

Quick Reply: Leather care- how clean, treat and/or repair