S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Leather care- how clean, treat and/or repair

Old 05-24-2005, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, sorry I was out of town for a few days, will reply tomorrow with the answers and clear my PM box

Thanks,
Sean
Old 05-25-2005, 06:25 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for checking in, Sean. We really appreciate it.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:04 PM

No problemo, business has been very crazy for the past few months so I haven't been on here much and let me say, I miss you guys (tear, wimper). Anyways, I have to look into this whole Woolite thing, I will get the MSDS and find out about the product over the next week or so and report back.

Not sure what's in the Lexol conditioner, I have never liked the results I have seen with it. I would personally not recommend its use. The cleaner from what I hear isn't half bad, but I have never used it first hand.

Be back to you shortly...

Sean
Old 06-01-2005, 02:33 PM

I was thinking about having the seats in one of my cars (non-S2k, cloth seats) redone in leather, can you recommend anyone in or around North Carolina.

Thanks!!
Old 06-01-2005, 05:58 PM

Unless this car is a collector car or one you intend on keeping for a long time the conversion can be very costly. As for a referral, you are better off finding a company that specializes in auto upholster and have them get a kit specially designed for your car, if you have to go custom, it really won't be worth it. Honestly, I don't know of anyone that specializes in auto upholstery down that way, but look around for an auto guy and you should be able to find someone. Get some references first and ask to see some of their work before you go ahead, some guys are good, others are terrible.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:03 PM

Ok cool, I think I may just end up buying new seats. I really appreciate the input!
Old 06-01-2005, 07:33 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Any word on the Woolite? I tried it out and it cleaned VERY well... I'm guessing it's not bad, since so many have used it repeatedly, apparently after finding indication on a Lexus that using the mixture was recommended on the Lexus leather.

I'm just wondering if there is a significant difference in the "coated" vs aniline leather...

And to clear it up, most American and Japanese cars are "coated" while most European cars are aniline, correct?
Old 06-02-2005, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by animeS2K,Jun 1 2005, 10:33 PM
Any word on the Woolite? I tried it out and it cleaned VERY well... I'm guessing it's not bad, since so many have used it repeatedly, apparently after finding indication on a Lexus that using the mixture was recommended on the Lexus leather.

I'm just wondering if there is a significant difference in the "coated" vs aniline leather...

And to clear it up, most American and Japanese cars are "coated" while most European cars are aniline, correct?
No info on Woolite yet, but all auto leathers except for a few very high end are finished (coating on the surface), they are also aniline dyed...so you aren't wrong, just a lil confused. The leather is aniline dyed and then finished.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a black motorcycle jacket from Fox Creek, high quality, naked leather, drum dyed. What would be a better conditioner, Lexol, or what they recommend, Montana Pitch Blend Mink Oil?
Old 06-05-2005, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Purple Haze,Jun 5 2005, 08:35 AM
I just bought a black motorcycle jacket from Fox Creek, high quality, naked leather, drum dyed. What would be a better conditioner, Lexol, or what they recommend, Montana Pitch Blend Mink Oil?
You purchased an aniline leather...no finish on the surface. All the cleaners/conditioner you know of are not meant for this leather. We do carry an Aniline Conditioner and Protector, it will not only prevent your jacket from drying out, but it will also prevent water/liquids from pentrating the surface and potentially staining or fading the dye quicker than normal.

Quick Reply: Leather care- how clean, treat and/or repair