S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Keeping your Black s2k clean

Old 12-30-2004, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keeping your Black s2k clean

Everytime I bring up the topic of black cars, someone brings up the point about how its hard to keep them clean. So for all you with Black S2ks, is it really that hard to keep them clean?
Old 12-31-2004, 04:13 AM

The truth is black cars are no harder to keep clean than any other color car. The problem is that you notice the dirt on black (dark) cars more than any other color car. The only way to keep them clean is A) Not drive it and keep it covered or B) Wash it when it is dirty.

I am not trying to be a smart-*** but I also have a black Accord and I thank God the S is not black given the pain it is keeping the Accord looking good.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:18 AM

my short take on owning a Berlina Black S....

I love taking care of my car - so for me its not an issue per se. Once cleaned and waxed - to my eye - i could do it all over again just to remove a few dust particles as they settle in - but to everyone else who sees the car - it sounds as though it appears 'amazing' and 'looks great' - my Black (and I'm sure other colors) is definitely a head turner...

Once I let go of my OCD tendancies towards keeping her clean -- she just looks beautiful & is a pleasure to drive and look at - although I see fine scratches and dust all the time they don't 'get to me' - civilians don't see it like I do - but they don't look at it like I do either - no doubt Black will show dust & dirt more quickly than say, silver - but Black is beautiful and like a mirror - probably requiring a bit more attention to keep that way...

I have found Black to be enjoyable to live with primarily because looking after my car is an enjoyable process that I derive pleasure from and take pride in.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

right on nate03!!

and i admit i am one of the most compulsive around... mine always looks newly detailed. the car is covered if i am not in it (top down always), and it gets a detailers spray at least once a week. the glass is cleaned usually a couple of times a week.

i think it depends a lot on where you drive- when it rains i drive a beater. and my commute is not far and not on freeways. when i do a freeway run, the car usually gets a quick clean after it has cooled.
the quick cleans take about 5 to 10 minutes (dust & detailers spray)- and i usually just focus on one area each time (the rear gets a lot more attention than any other part cause it gets dirty quickest).
Old 01-01-2005, 10:17 AM

Why top down always? And what car cover do you use?

Thanks
Old 01-01-2005, 11:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheWendysGuy,Jan 1 2005, 11:17 AM
Why top down always? And what car cover do you use?

Thanks
top down always-
cause i can!!
sometimes, especially on the freeway, it seems like the heater is just not quite enough- but thats pretty rare.

btw, thats the best way to detail the interior- top down...

again, cause the weather is pretty mild here, i use the honda cover. its really just a dust cover and would do nothing to keep wet out. but it is really well padded and is great for keeping people outa the car and for keeping nicks off of the sides- and it also keeps the car clean.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:45 AM

[QUOTE=wanabe,Dec 31 2004, 09:03 AM] right on nate03!!

and i admit i am one of the most compulsive around... mine always looks newly detailed.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:22 PM

Member (Premium)

Received 139 Likes on 87 Posts

We have several Hondas in different colors in my house. The hardest to maintain is the Black Accord. Even if it is cleaned and Zaino'd it will show dust. Next in line would be Dark Green, Red, Light Blue and then my Silverstone S.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:40 PM

My take on the matter is much the same as everyone else. Does a Black S demand more attention to cleaning than the other colors? Yes. Does this extra amount of effort involved yield results that make it worth it? YES. Obviously I'ma bit biased, but it is my opinio that a freshly washed and waxed Berlina S is one of the best looking cars on the road. This is confirmed by the amount of staring and head turning that takes place when I go for a ride with the top down after I've cleaned the car in nice weather.

The car is not IMPOSSIBLE to keep clean, but you will definitely need a garage and a slew of car care products (Cali. Duster is a must to remove the layer of dust that comes from driving the car and shows up ESPECIALLY well on black.)

I have found that, most of the time, what makes a black car appear "dirty" after a single trip is that thin layer of dust. This dust would not show up nearly as well on other colors, this is why black is called "impossible" to care for or "looking dirty all the time." However, a simple dusting and use of a detailing spray can solve this porlbme and have the car looking good as new in just a few minutes,
Old 01-03-2005, 05:19 AM

dirt does show up more on a black car, but IMO, nothing looks sharper than a black car when it's shiny and clean! i just washed and zaino'ed my car this weekend and all i can say is WOW!!!

for those of you who use the following items, where can one get the cali duster and what quick detailer spray do you use? (and will the detailer spray have any negative effect on zaino?)

Quick Reply: Keeping your Black s2k clean