S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Keeping the S clean on road trips.

Old 09-26-2020, 02:11 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Keeping the S clean on road trips.

How do I store or carry Spray on Car Cash and sufficient Number of microfiber Cloths for a 5-day or 3-week road trip in the S. Unsure of water supplies along the way. How much should I bring with me and how to pack MF towels both clean and dirty. There will be two people and bags for both trips.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:39 PM

Received 1,229 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Silverstone doesn't get unsightly unless you run thru mud. Anything wrong with a no-touch car wash?

-- Chuck
Old 09-27-2020, 07:53 AM

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

I don’t like to rub on my paint without doing a wash with a hose and bucket. I cringe when I see guys pulling out detailed sprays and stuff at the drives. If on a road trip I feel like the car is getting too dirty I just go to a self wash and hose it down with the high pressure sprayer and hit the highway to dry. Looks clean enough. I do bring rags and some dash spray.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:07 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

So, I'm much like you in that I like to keep my cars clean on roadtrips and carwashes (for me at least) are not an option. I bought myself one one of these:

https://www.worx.com/en_CA/lawn-gard...___store=en_CA

This link is for the Canadian store mind-you, but I know you can get these in the US as well. A Hydroshot can be used with any water source: I take along a collapsible camping bucket and a small bottle of my favourite soap. Takes up very little room, and you can do a quick bucket wash using water filled from your hotel. The pressure from the Hyrdroshot, while not the greatest, allows you to keep mostly the car shiny and clean for us OCD types. The supplies listed will take little of your precious room in the S2000s diminutive trunk.

A
Old 09-27-2020, 11:34 AM

Received 85 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer
How do I store or carry Spray on Car Cash and sufficient Number of microfiber Cloths for a 5-day or 3-week road trip in the S. Unsure of water supplies along the way. How much should I bring with me and how to pack MF towels both clean and dirty. There will be two people and bags for both trips.
Leave the other person and their baggage behind! More room for YOU and your microfiber towels. FUN FUN FUN!
Old 09-28-2020, 02:33 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

First off be creative and use the crevices between soft compliant luggage for MF towels. The cabin area does have spaces as well. Consider taking less clothes and just washing more often during the trip. By using a waterless wash you will need approximately 5-6 MF towels per cleaning, plus a travel sized (8 oz) window cleaner. Bring a ziplock bag for wet MF towels and think about purchasing additional MF towels during your trip as needed. When washing clothes, run a separate cycle of just MF towels (no added perfumes or non static products) and repack when dry.
You can get by with 12"x12" MF towels which take up less space, combined with the product below and his procedure for cleaning and you will keep the car clean even on road trips.

https://www.ammonyc.com/product/ammo...hoseless-lift/
Old 09-28-2020, 11:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you take your S 2000 on a road trip that is very long, you cannot expect it to look in "car show" quality for the entire trip. What I have found, though, is applyng 303 Touchless Sealant to the car makes dirt not stick to it, and just a "hose off" makes it look great again. And if you get Ardex Spot Delivery and put it into a small spray bottle, that combined with a few micorfibers should take care of you. I know well that the S 2000 is not best suited for long road trips, due to small luggage capacity. But it is so much fun to drive that it rather invites road trips! And I know that S 2000 drivers like to have their cars looking great. I enjoy driving mine into downtown Durango. Often there are several atttractive young women on the corner, watching it come down the street. They stare at it, until they see that an old man is driving it. Then they look away. Oh, well.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:39 PM

Received 247 Likes on 176 Posts

We go to the $0.25 car wash. We have almost 200k miles on or S and it has seen lots of long road trips(longest was 8400 miles). I spray the car off with just water and then take the soap brush and drip the soap over where I want to wash. Wash(with MF towels) and rinse, then repeat in the next wash zone. I do a final rinse with the no spot water rinse, towel it dry. When we get to the next hotel we wash and dry our MF towels and the towels we used to dry the S. Works good for us and we have never had a problem finding a washer and dryer where we stay, hell a couple of times room service came and did that for us.

Just a tip, I use paper maps to find the back roads, then use Google maps to make sure the roads are paved.
We have so much fun taking the less travelled route,

Rod

Old 10-08-2020, 05:16 PM

Received 3,763 Likes on 2,654 Posts

Put on a hydrophobic coating before you leave, as a top coat to whatever you are running on the car now. There are a few simple spray on ones out now which are easy to apply as a simple top coat. I think that will help to keep your car cleaner and dirt will be less likely to stick, so less cleaning needed.
The following users liked this post:
Emil St-Hilaire (10-09-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 05:40 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks everyone for these suggestions. Keep them coming. I have two trips in mind for now. One is a five day trip, wihich is easy enough and the other next year will be a 2-3 week trip. I bought some smaller Nalgene bottles to hold my All Free and Clear detergent and Microfiber wash liiquid. I got a collapsible 2.5 gal silicon bucket and some rinseless wash. I tried some coating that makes bugs and guts wash off easily, yet I wasn't happy with the dull and uneven coating it left when sprayed on. I've had a busy week, so this weekend I hope to be able to look into some of those links this weekend. Leaving the girlfriend behind is not an option.

Quick Reply: Keeping the S clean on road trips.