S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Keeping the Inside of the S clean

Old 07-07-2011, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keeping the Inside of the S clean

It seems like there is more attention geared towards the exterior of our cars than the interior. I want to care for my interior as well considering that is the part of the car I spend most of my time in. Anyways, Shed some light on this topic.

There is an abundance amount of information while I was conducting the search for this. However, it seems like much of the information is misleading one way or another. The dates of the posts also add to that issue, cause some threads are renewed and different information appears all of a sudden. I want to get a clarification on a couple of things.

What part of the seat is leather and what part is vinyl?

Is all of the seating surface leather or just the perforated portion?

Is the back of the seats vinyl? if so, how do I clean it?

The area around the shift boot in MY02 seems to be leather? is it?

What does everyone use to clean their interior(dash, doors, roll hoops and panels behind the seat)? Mine gets dirty from top down. Can I use 303 for most of these parts or any of them? If so, which ones?

Should we make this a sticky?
Old 07-07-2011, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://home.comcast.net/~michael.coh..._Hand_Book.pdf
Woah I just realized the engine before and after the s2000 turns from a gpw to a SS s2000. You crazy guy MikeyC!
Old 07-08-2011, 09:10 AM

Although the hand book is very informative, it's not accurate.

In the leather section, It fails to address that MY02 had leather shift knobs. Correct me if I am wrong.

It also fails to mention which portion of the seats are leather and which aren't, if any.

So going back to the intent of the post, I still need some clarification.

Anyone analyze their ripped seats to see what the material was? (Yes, I am aware the material may change by MY)
Old 07-08-2011, 09:58 AM

I don't think you'll find an answer.
One guy states, "One thing everyone should know is that our seats are actually vinyl-coated leather. I'm guessing Honda did this because it's more durable and weatherproof than bare leather. So, typical leather-care products aren't as effective as vinyl-care products. There's plenty of discussion on seat care throughout this forum & others, so see for yourself what you think is best. "
http://s2000.com/forums/interior-aud...placement.html
And another states, "Or to be exact leather trimmed. Typical of all newer Hondas. The seating face is leather the back, sides and other little areas are vinyl. "
"The leather on the seats is vinyl coated. Some European cars are pure leather. American cars are all coated. You can test this by putting a drop of water on the seat. If it soaks in, it's leather. Otherwise it's coated."
Old 07-08-2011, 03:39 PM

I am sure SOMEONE has a rip in their ap1 seats. Just feel the inside of the material and analyze it.

At least we will know what ap1 seats will be make of.

I am sure there are people with totalled ap2s who could have done the same.

It's amazing how much information there is on this board but with so many discrepancies it becomes almost useless.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:24 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

The face of the seats (what you sit on) is leather. The lower sides and back are vinyl.
There is no such thing as vinyl coated leather.
There is coated leather, but it's still leather and needs to be treated as such. That's the type of leather these seats are.

Clean the leather regularly (once a month with a gentle cleaner or even just a damp microfiber), treat/condition the leather 2-4 times a year.
Clean the vinyl with a product like Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer.
If you want to treat the vinyl, use a product like 303 Aerospace Protectant, diluted down about 1:2 or 1:3 with water and follow up with a clean, dry microfiber cloth. You'll get a nice low-gloss sheen without that awful coated Armor All look.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by animeS2K
You'll get a nice low-gloss sheen without that awful coated Armor All look.
How dare ye smear the name of Armor All. Why our dash is on the cover!!! Must mean its best product for stooks.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:32 AM

Old 07-11-2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by animeS2K
The face of the seats (what you sit on) is leather. The lower sides and back are vinyl.
There is no such thing as vinyl coated leather.
There is coated leather, but it's still leather and needs to be treated as such. That's the type of leather these seats are.

Clean the leather regularly (once a month with a gentle cleaner or even just a damp microfiber), treat/condition the leather 2-4 times a year.
Clean the vinyl with a product like Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer.
If you want to treat the vinyl, use a product like 303 Aerospace Protectant, diluted down about 1:2 or 1:3 with water and follow up with a clean, dry microfiber cloth. You'll get a nice low-gloss sheen without that awful coated Armor All look.
What is in the Meguiar's Quik Detailer? How is the 303 protectant different? Can you just use the protectant to clean it AND treat it?
Old 07-11-2011, 03:53 PM

Meguiar's Quik Detailer is a mild cleaner that leaves an original matte finish look, safe for all interior plastics... They say it's safe for leather as well and I wouldn't hesitate to give a light wipe-down/dusting with it, but for heavier soiling I'd use a dedicated leather cleaner. It leaves VERY minimal UV protection, so I wouldn't consider it a protectant.

303 Protectant has no cleaning properties and considering its consistency, I wouldn't want to lay it on as thick as you would a cleaner.

Quick Reply: Keeping the Inside of the S clean